Wednesday, August 15, 2012

These were her last words for us

I don't sing.

I can't read music anymore.

And I have a cough and a cold. Which makes my voice sound like I swallowed a frog. 

When the Jones family asked Patty's former Young Women to sing at her funeral, I knew it would be tough. Patty Jones is probably the only person on this earth (or heavens) that I would ever sing for. In public no less. What I didn't know though, was the song we were asked to sing - "Walk Tall, You're a Daughter of God" - was a gift not for Patty, but for us. I read through the words and knew immediately that this was Patty's way of telling us one last time that she loved us and to not forget all the things she taught us...


I had joked with Patty's sweet husband when he asked if there was anything he could do for me (in typical Jones family fashion) to tell Patty she better pull some strings and get a heavenly choir of angels to back us up.

I think she pulled some strings because, amazingly, we made it through the song. All 20 of us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's just so perfect. One last gift. Love it.