Tuesday, September 11, 2012

100 lbs.

The vet told me Blu could push 100 lbs. when she's full grown.

Oh great. 

I knew she was "big boned" but having the vet confirm that we truly do have a "major" dog is a bit frightening. He told me I should buy a cart or sled to have her pull us in, that's how big and strong she's going to be. At 10 weeks, Blu weighed in at a whooping 17.2 lbs. A big pawed baby who runs like she hasn't grown into her feet yet. Almost two weeks later, and I'm positive she's gained at least another three pounds. Or more.

But man, is she a good looking dog. Jeff joked with me that, "No kidding she's a good lookin' dog. We make good looking babies."


Blu has been real naughty ever since we came home from Bear Lake. I guess she didn't want to come home either. I have no idea what to do... she thinks the kids are her personal chew toys and is constantly chasing them down outside, jumping up at them, and biting them. She's ripped so many holes in their clothes. It's a good thing Cole wears a diaper because Pearl got bit right on the butt the other day. Granted Cole probably deserves some of it because in the house he is always pinching her, sitting on her, and trying to tackle her. But still! She can't bite people. She doesn't get the whole "stay" command (but we do have "sit" and "come" down and sometimes, "shake"), barks anytime she is feeling ignored, and can't retrieve a ball to save her life. She's chewed our carpet. She jumps in the bathtub with the kids. She's successfully destroyed an entire plant in the backyard, not to mention picked off countless other unsuspecting branches, grape vines, leaves, and garden vegetables. And she's figured out she can jump. Our diligent neighbors who check on her when we're at work, found her sitting on the front porch one morning. Apparently she has figured out how to climb up on our gas pipe to jump on the porch. I was so grateful they were watching her for us and that she stayed put on the porch. I would have been devastated to lose her. Oh, and she won't bark to tell us she needs to go potty. After weeks of no accidents, Cole came in and told me, "Blu potty, Mom." Ugh. Advice? Anyone? Please tell me this is just how labs are until they grow up? I'm kidding.

*Sad side note. When I took Blu in for her vet checkup, I saw our friend Marlow whom we got Blu from. I asked him where his dogs were and he almost broke down in tears. Marley (Blu's dad and best friend to Marlow) was in Marlow's words, "dying." They didn't know what was wrong with him. He stopped eating, wouldn't move, and was in real trouble. We found out a few days later, that Marley had been poisoned with rat poisoning and had to be put to sleep. The poison had shut his kidenys down and basically eaten his stomach. Marlow was devastated, as were we. We puppy sat Marley one time when he looked just like Blu and he was a great dog. It makes me sick to think someone could have done this on purpose. Even if was unintentional and he just got into something somewhere, I feel terrible. It just breaks my heart. Jeff said he could take Blu if he wanted and I think he almost took him up on the offer. Had he lost both Marley and Lucky (Blu's mom), I'm pretty sure we'd be puppy-less today. Then again, maybe that wouldn't be so bad......

I'm kidding. Look at that face!


Sort of kidding, anyway.

2 comments:

Haylee Munk Brown said...

He's such a cutie. Hang in there! you can make it through puppy stage!!

Alabama Apples said...

She's such a darling dog! They are all rotten at this stage...kids, puppies-ALL!