We went to Bear Lake for Labor Day weekend. I'm not sure why, but this trip to the lake felt perfect. It was actually relaxing for me. Now, don't get me wrong, I love going to Bear Lake. But most of the time I am totally crazy and exhausted by the time we start heading home and wishing it was all over, wondering if it really was worth all the effort, exhaustion, driving, and money. This time though, I didn't want to go home. I could have stayed up there all week.
The weather was beautiful and I didn't even mind the storms that came in on Friday evening and Saturday. Cool temperatures but warm enough to play on the beach and in the water. The water is so warm because the lake is high and shallow. And the mountains are showing hints of autumn. There aren't many places that you can sit on the beach and see a mountainside of reds, yellows, greens, and oranges! We saw clumps of trees already changing colors on our 4 wheeler ride this afternoon.
Have I mentioned how awesome my in-laws are? They brought up the kids (including the four-legged grandchild) so Jeff and I could go 4 wheeling and get unpacked. And it was Wally's birthday weekend so they forwent their plans to watch the kids and hang out with us.
Jeff took his Dad on a 4 wheeler ride. Cole tagged along too. The kid has been begging to go for weeks. It's so funny how he says 4 wheeler ride. He sticks his tongue out and sort of does this flip roll thing, slurring the wheel part together. I wish I had video of him talking. It's hilarious! As soon as they got back, that's all Cole would talk about... "Me. Dad. Gampa. Four wheeler ride (wish I knew how to spell how it sounds when he says it). Hemet (translation: helmet). Ride. Fast." Repeated about 50 gazillion times as excitedly as possibly.
We watched an evening storm roll in across the lake. Very cool. When it started coming, the water turned this bright turquoise color and then closer to shore, it looked almost like a neon green from all the decaying muck in the shallow part of the lake. There was lightning and rolling thunder. It was gorgeous! And the best part was, it didn't rain on our side of the lake at all!
The only snag with the storm was that it did eventually come our way. At least the winds did. It messed up our dutch oven feast because we couldn't keep the coals hot enough. But oh, was it worth the wait! BBQ chicken, cheesy potatoes, and blueberry peach cobbler with ice cream for dessert. So glad I talked Jeff into doing a big dutch oven dinner this time.
Tonight was a blue moon too. Not sure what that means entirely... I think something like two full moons in a month?



No comments:
Post a Comment