Thursday, April 19, 2012

First lunch

Pearl has been BEGGING me to pack her a lunch for oh, at least two years.

Which shouldn't be a big deal because I pack two lunches (almost) every night for Jeff and I anyway. But the thought of making one more sandwich makes me cringe. Even if the thought of her eating sodium-laden, disgusting Spaghetti-Os makes me want to vomit. I just found excuse after excuse... I forgot (that's true most of the time), you won't eat what Mom and Dad eat (also true), you weren't very nice to me (again, true), you have to keep it in the fridge at school (no one wants food poisoning), or let's just face it, because I'm a mean mom.

But the other day it dawned on me that maybe, just maybe making Pearl a lunch would help us get along better. Remember this post?

Jeff says me making him a lunch is how he knows I love him. Maybe that's the same for Pearl. It was worth a try at least.
So she got a plain ham sandwich (no cheese, no butter, nothing), fruit snack, applesauce, and juice box. When I told her to get her lunch box, she was so surprised she didn't know what to say. After a few minutes it clicked that this was finally the day she got to take a lunch to school and squealed with delight. I felt great.But then Jeff one-upped me. He slipped a note in Pearl's lunch box before leaving for work. I wish someone would leave me a love note. Or made my lunch.

No comments: