Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Forced Family Fun

Every once in awhile I decide I can handle the whining and questioning looks and force my family to have a little spontaneous fun.

And every once in awhile my spontaneous idea turns into some actual fun and a "Mom/Kay that wasn't such a bad idea" compliment.

So a few Sundays ago, I packed up the kids {one of whom was wearing pink sandals and the other one was still in his church clothes... but who cares!}, husband, and dog in the truck, grabbed some water and a few crackers and drove them up behind the Bountiful temple to a trail I'd seen. Everyone but Blu was a bit skeptical about this whole hiking thing. It's just not something we do. We prefer to drive on trails.

Blu was pumped to be outside running around in the trees and finding the stream to splash in. The kids did great too. Cole found all of these big sticks that he insisted on carrying. Pearl looked for acorns that squirrels had left behind. We found a lot of them and they are now sitting in a jar on Cole's dresser. Both kids walked the entire way up and back by themselves! It was a miracle! 






At the end of the trail - or is that the beginning of the trail - there was a pond area where all the water from the stream had pooled. Blu drug this huge tree into the water. I'm not sure why a normal stick wouldn't work. 



Jeff taught Pearl the fine art of catching skeeter bugs. 




Cole ran through the stream until his pants were soaking wet {he went home in just his underwear}. Then stood there with his hands down his pants.




And me? I cherished the moment with my family.



Oh. And the fun didn't stop on the trail. When we got home, we roasted hot dogs over our new fire pit...still in our underpants. Then walked over to the neighbor's house, in our underpants {did I mention they happened to have with visitors over too?}, snatched an ice cream sandwich and ran home. 



Still in our underpants.

No comments: