A few weeks ago we had a big owie at our house.
It involved a trip to the ER and some glue.
I'm honestly shocked something like this hasn't happened sooner.
I was just getting out of a meeting Downtown when I decided to check my phone just in case someone had called. I always put my phone on silent when I'm in meetings or in the office... you know, because it's the courteous thing to do when you work in a rat maze of cubicles. To my surprise I had three voice messages, a bunch of new emails, and a whole slew of text messages from Jeff, the daycare, and a couple of coworkers still in the office. I half jokingly told my coworkers who were with me that Cole probably fell and cracked his head open.
Um. Yep.
And when the daycare couldn't get a hold of me they started calling Jeff. He was already at my office when I got back. He jokingly started yelling at me and my coworkers, "He has a TBI! Do something!" I was more impressed the man knew what a TBI was than anything. (A TBI stands for traumatic brain injury)
Cole's teacher told us that he was running by the playground, tripped in the rubber mulch, and hit smack dab on the steps of the playground. It was bound to happen at some point. The kid trips over his own feet every time he runs. All the kids were pretty excited to have Jeff and I there to listen to their accounts of what happened. Cole kept telling me, "Me tough. Me no cry Mom!" The pouty face was all an act for my picture.
Since Jeff had a bit more flexibility with his day, we decided he would take Fern boy to the ER to get his battle wound checked out. It was pretty deep, but luckily wasn't bleeding. The docs ended up using this special glue to hold it together instead of using stitches. Thank goodness! No pain that way and no return trip to have them removed. They said it's actually pretty similar to super glue, just a little less irritating to the skin.
After the ER, they went to McDonald's - Cole's choice - for lunch and ice cream then back to daycare for a few hours until his regularly scheduled well child checkup. Ironic.
A day later and Cole was acting like nothing had even happened.
Until, in his crazy running around and jumping on everything, he smacked his head right on his owie again. Poor little guy.



No comments:
Post a Comment