Tuesday, June 5, 2012

I want to be black

My parents may be the only people who laugh at this, but tonight Cole did something that I once did long, long ago.

He decided he wanted to be black.

Well, yellow. And green. And purple.

Let me explain.

When I was a little girl, I apparently wanted to be black. My mom found me covered from toe to tummy in permanent black marker! PERMANENT BLACK MARKER! My mom was horrified! I guess I'd been watching a Little House on the Prairie episode and one of the characters - who happened to be Black - was either treated poorly or was super nice... I can't remember. My mom figured I must have empathized with the Black character on the show and decided I wanted to be like him.

Needless to say, my mom scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed. Until my skin was raw. But she said it was weeks before my legs went from a near solid black to pasty white again. Thank goodness, Cole hasn't tried to get the black Sharpies yet from the cupboard and picked washable markers to color his arm with.

But it still took a good scrubbing to get it off. Most of it anyway.








1 comment:

Amy said...

And it's so perfect that his shirt says Big Trouble!