Tuesday, June 14, 2011

House of chaos

Warning. I've already had one meltdown this week because I couldn't stand the mess, whining, and my lack of parenting/housekeeping abilities and it's only Tuesday.

Warning. There is a lot, and I mean a lot, of high-pitched squealing in this video.

Warning. I live in a house of chaos. Not a house of order, a house of prayer, a house of all that other stuff I'm supposed to cultivate as mother/nurturer/woman.

A house of chaos.

With panties strewn in the kitchen because my laundry basket is slowly being picked apart. Over-ripe mangoes on the counter that unfortunately, will never be turned into that mango sorbet I had hoped for. Clutter, junk mail, grocery ads, and various other papers spread across the kitchen counters and table. Laundry baskets, shoes, empty boxes needing to be taken to the recycle bin outside, and leftover chicken nuggets, peas, corn, rice, and Cheerios on the floor. And I won't even go there with Pearl's room. Or the dust and cobwebs for that matter.

But despite the feelings of frustration, guilt, anxiety, failure, and inadequacy, sometimes that chaos makes me smile. I even forget about the above mentioned unmentionables. Although it's hard to ignore the squeals for too long.

Those minions of mine make me laugh sometimes. Like the other day after dinner when Cole was cruising around the house as fast as his little legs could run squealing and jabbering at his sister. And Pearl playing along, squealing right back at him (too bad it eventually turned into out-right screaming) and encouraging the silliness.


And if that wasn't enough, during scripture study that same night - er, I should say attempt at scripture study - those minions decided to up the chaotic-ness a degree. We, and by we I really mean "I", have this bad habit of letting Cole and Pearl take the cushions off the couch and run wild on them. I do draw the line at no jumping though.

Silly me for thinking this might give us a fighting chance at catching up on our scripture study. Cole had other plans. The second that cushion came off, he started running from the end of the couch to Jeff. Who happened to be sitting on the next cushion, trying to be calm. Cole would squeal, yell "DA DA DA DA DA!", and then flop himself on top of Jeff. Then the giggles came. First from Cole, then Pearl, then me. I couldn't help it. We didn't even get through one verse.

Chaos. I'm living the dream.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Jenny, sounds like a typical household when raising children, lol.

Amy said...

I feel like I could just copy and paste that entry right into my blog! There just aren't enough hours in the day to get to everything. I'm trying to be better about letting some it go and just enjoying these fleeting moments.

Alabama Apples said...

No kidding!! I look around at the mess, clutter, goober-y kiddies and sometimes want to pull my hair and scream! But- there are moments, the oh-so-needed and precious moments, when I look around at my screaming hooligans and simply smile. I love my life and while it isn't perfect, it is the best life for me.

Kelsie said...

Oh Jenny. My house is exactly the same, if not 10x louder than what you showed in your video! My boys are LOUD! Some days it makes me totally crazy and I feel like a failure because I can't get everything done that I need/wanted to that day. But, when moments like that hit (if I am in the right mindset) I will just sit back and look at my boys and remember how much I love and adore them ... (again that's if I'm in the right mindset). Days when Ethan has been a little pest, screaming, kicking, biting, tantrums, being mean, picking on the dogs, throwing, etc. push me over the edge and I feel guilty about how I acted with them that day when they finally go to bed.
My house is also a house of chaos! I just keep hoping one day he'll calm down enough to bring my house back to a house of love and peace. :)