Miraculously or by divine intervention, we both made it.
Pearl is now 4. Wow, where has the time gone? If my baby is four, that makes me, well old.
I knew she was going to be super excited when she woke up so I made sure we had her presents sitting on the dining room table. She was very happy to see three presents just for her. Even if I did re-gift the bags and tissue paper from Cole's party... but who cares, right? Jeff managed to distract her with the "outdoor grocery store" (Bountiful Baskets pick up) so Cole and I could wake up without help from one very excited four-year-old. But as soon as they were back, the begging started. We gave in and let her open just one present. You'll notice she hadn't even combed her crazy bed hair yet. She just so happened to pick the one with the new shoes. She was very excited!

I felt a little guilty for not planning a huge party. Pearl was under the assumption that she was getting a grand party like Cole did for his first birthday. Or a Rapunzel party with all her friends from school. All day, in between the normal Saturday chores, Pearl kept asking when she could open her presents, when we were having her Rapunzel cake, when her party was going to start. I guess our free ride of enjoying slackerhood with our parenting is over. Four-year-olds get what birthdays are all about.Luckily, Jeff's parents were coming down to celebrate with us. While Cole and I picked up the Rapunzel cake Pearl had picked out, Jeff and his parents took Pearl to see "Born Wild" at the IMAX theater at the Gateway. Once Cole and I got downtown, we headed to the fountains. Pearl had been begging us to take her swimming for her birthday so we figured the fountains were a good compromise.
The kids had a blast. I wasn't sure what Cole was going to think of all the water spraying up in his face but he loved it! He ran around like a mad man, laughing, yelling, squealing, smiling, and getting absolutely soaked in the process.
I honestly figured Pearl would whimp out on the fountains like she has every year prior. So I hadn't thought to pack her a spare pair of clothes. Silly me. Pearl had even more fun than Cole!
I was so busy trying to keep Cole from getting sprayed in the face or up his diaper that I only saw flashes of a very wet Pearl streak by. But once her pants started to fall off and everyone could see a white bubble butt running around the fountains, it was easier to spot her. It was embarrassing but hilarious! I'm sure everyone watching found it hysterical or appalling that I was screaming at my kid to pull her pants up as she ran by.



I must have been distracted by a nearly half-naked daughter and son who was getting awfully brave with the water because before I knew it, my attempt to keep Cole from getting squirted right in the eye backfired on me. I ended up keeping Cole safe, but in the process sacrificed my own dry clothing (and hair and makeup) in the process. This also just so happened to be just seconds after I had sent Jeff down to Old Navy to buy Pearl some dry clothes. Apparently I should have also told him to buy me some new clothes because my entire left side was soaked. Jeff always picks out super cute clothes for Pearl... too bad Old Navy was out of all panties! Trying to explain to her why she was going commando was an interesting conversation.
After getting the kids dried off and stuffed full of goldfish crackers, we headed to the Pizza Factory for dinner. Pearl's choice of course. Then the real celebration began.Presents. Lots of presents. Spending money, jewelry, clothes, new Rapunzel and Hello Kitty panties (someday Pearl will be horribly embarrassed with this gift but she was pumped to get them), and books from us and Grandpa and Grandma.


And if the new bike wasn't enough already, a beautiful pink afghan from David and Vickie.
Cole was quick to remember what you do with presents. After shredding all the tissue paper, he grabbed one of the bags and played peek-a-boo with us. 

If that wasn't enough excitement, up next was the long-awaited Rapunzel cake! Pearl was so excited to finally see the cake she had picked out. Someone please tell me I'm not the only slacker mom who doesn't make a homemade birthday cake?
It took Pearl exactly four breaths to blow out her candles. One candle at a time (and a small huff from mom to finish them off). 
Pearl wasn't nearly as excited about getting to use the "You Are Special" plate as Jeff and I were. She was more interested in making sure I mutilated the cake just so she could have Rapunzel's face. Oh and that she got a big scoop of Aggie Blue Mint ice cream. And eating the cake and ice cream. She didn't touch it. I think the excitement from the day had taken it's toll.
And there you have it. A birthday fit for a spunky four-year-old that I wouldn't trade for the world.
2 comments:
I buy every cake, too! I keep thinking I should save the $25 and make my own, but I have no patience for cake decorating--and it wouldn't taste near as good! Money well spent, in my opinion.
What fun birthday for such a cute girl!! I want a birthday party like Pearl's!! :) Don't worry, we don't make cakes either. It's become a fun tradition for the kids to go to the store and pick out their favorite ice cream and cake. Either way, good memories are made, and that's what matters.
Post a Comment