It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt (or Mom gets wet)
Jeff is our sprinkler system. Which means every summer he trudges throughout our third of acre to keep our lawn looking lush and green. He tells me it's getting old. Especially when the neighbors tease us about when we're finally going to put in a real sprinkler system.
Needing a picture for my daily blog, I thought the sprinkler would make for a good subject. I was busy adjusting the exposure on my camera, oblivious to everything else around me, when all of a sudden I saw a flash of white and heard squeals of delight coming from Pearl. It took me a second to figure out what was happening. Jeff had warned me earlier in the day that it was going to be hard keeping the kids away from the sprinklers since all they want to do when we get home is play outside, which is also the only time Jeff has to water.
Once I saw Pearl's huge grin, I refrained from yelling at her to get out of the sprinklers. Although the thought of Giardia did cross my mind several times during this escapade. We have Weber water... and it smells like poop. She did close her mouth though once Jeff saw what was going on and hollered at her to keep her mouth shut as she ran through the sprinklers. He should have also mentioned to her to keep breathing, since she took one huge breath and ran through them, like she was diving under the water.
Before I knew it, Cole had decided to join his sister in the fun. Too bad for him, he didn't quite understand the mechanics of sprinklers. He walked right up to that sprinkler without a fear in the world. As soon as the water hit him full force, he took a deep breath, turned, and ran. He had no clue what hit him! It was so funny! And once the initial shock of getting squirted right in the face wore off, he loved it. I have to admit I was laughing - and still am as I look over these pictures - pretty hard. 



While I did refrain from screaming at Pearl about all the associated risks of contracting some horrible water-borne illness from the water, I didn't hold back once I saw her shorts drop to the ground. Unintentionally, but still! Apparently wet shorts and a little bum don't bode well. Thank heavens she had on a long shirt, even if it was white. I'm sure the neighbors and cars driving by had a good laugh at me yelling at her to pull her shorts up NOW! 

Coming back for more. 

Yep, it still squirts you right in the face. Poor Cole. He's totally at eye level for that blast of poop water.
Look at these two! You can just see on their faces how much fun they were having! I was half-tempted to join them but the thought of smelling like feces from the canal water was more than enough to keep me perched on the sideline. Oh the joys of being a kid during the summer. 

Jeff is a bit of tease, and decided to aim that sprinkler right at me. Luckily I had Cole to block the majority of the water for me. And he took the brunt of the fun when a few seconds later he missed the sidewalk and totally turfed it. I picked him up at arm's length so as not to get too wet myself and saw blood pouring out of his mouth. He was screaming so I ended up holding him for real - getting soaked in the process - and ran him inside to inspect the damage. He cut his lip (thank heavens his teeth are still intact with all his spills lately) and was more than ready for a warm bath and his bed.
But oh what fun we had! I'm sure there will be many more nights like this - probably some where I'm not so nice and make the kids get out of the sprinklers - especially considering our sprinkler system goes to bed by 10 p.m.
2 comments:
I love your pictures!
aah!!!! Super fun! I bet they had an absolute blast that day! Love the fun expressions! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment