Sunday, May 22, 2011

Assemble the minions!

Jeff decided we needed to kick up Cole's first birthday party a notch with a theme. A theme? It sounds like something I'd tell him. Of course when I said we needed balloons to match said theme, he laughed at me and asked why. To select the theme, Jeff let Pearl pick out Cole's birthday cake. They apparently were in a Despicable Me mood because we ended up with a huge "Assemble the minions!" cake, which they both talked about all week. It is sort of fitting though seeing as how Jeff often refers to Cole and Pearl as minions. And if that wasn't enough, Jeff researched, purchased, and assembled an army of Twinkie minions for Cole's Despicable Me birthday party. He said he wanted to have a minion decorating contest so he prepped two boxes of Twinkie minions and then had everyone add arms, legs, and hair to them.And EVERYONE had to participate. Oh, and there was a pre-party screening of Despicable Me for my parents who had yet to see the movie. They had to know what a minion was, it was all we talked about all morning.

Here is Jeff's original prototype. If you're wondering, the "C" stands for Cole and the "F" for Fern. If you have no clue what Fern is all about, read this post.
My Grandpa had a bit of trouble with his minion. Let's just say there was blue frosting everywhere. Several minions didn't even make it to the arm, leg, and hair assembly line. Pearl took her minion making very seriously. She giggled hysterically at her idea to give "Larry the minion" a mustache. She even tickled it like she does with Jeff's Dad.
Grandpa and Grandma reluctantly participated in the decorating but happily ate their finished minions. At first I thought Jesse was going to make out with his minion. But then the poor guy got his head bit off. I sure hope he doesn't kiss like this for real.
My mom and Ruby were pretty proud of their minion creations.And Jacob refused to eat his. He said he wanted to save it for the ride home. Cindy thank us profusely (insert sarcasm here) for giving Jacob something to beg her to make for the next umpteen years. Jeff's minion army was a huge hit! Now the minion bowling that I came up with impromptu, well that's a story for another day.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Wow!! Can't believe he's one! What a fun party.

Alabama Apples said...

Oh my goodness! How fun! You guys know how to party in style. I'm definitely impressed with Jeff-his ideas, creations, etc. :) What gorgeous toys your grandpa made. I had a rocking chair kind of like that when I was little. My great-grandpa made it for me. How wonderful you get to have such beautiful things!

Rhetta said...

You did it! Nice job! They look totally adorable....