Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Christmas First

This year was the first year we've spent Christmas morning at our house, just our little family. And the second time in my entire life I've had Christmas with my immediate family.

It was weird.

But fun, lovely, and magical.

I just might insist we make this our new tradition.

My kids slept in until 9 a.m. BEST CHRISTMAS GIFT EVER!!!! Jeff was surprised I didn't wake up at 6 a.m. - little did he know I was up that early with Cole - because I've had to practically drag him out of bed every year we've been married to see what Santa had brought us.

And boy, did Santa deliver! I guess our note to him paid off.
Pearl was so excited to open presents. I never thought in my entire life, I'd pull out a "mom" quote and tell her "Slow down. This is all the presents! Take your time!" but I did. Several times in fact.

When Pearl opened up her new pair of cowgirl boots, she squealed, "These are exactly what I wanted! They fit perfect!" It was hilarious. Good job Santa! We rounded up the loot with a Toy Story 3 DVD, Toy Story figurines (yes, all of them... Rex the Dinosaur, Woody, Buzz, Jessie, Bullseye, an Alien, and Hamm the piggy bank), doctor play set, new quilt, pom poms just like the Aggie cheerleaders, CD of Mamma Mia songs, clothes, and stockings stuffed to the brim with surprises. Santa goes a little overboard with stockings but we loved it.

Jeff got a new helmet and was ready to go for a ride with Pearl on her new 4 wheeler. He also got some boring, grown-up gifts from me... work shirts. I know, boring. I got some "Peacock blue" Fiestaware plates (my Aunts would be so proud) and the wall sconces I had hoped for. Cole made off with a bunch of new big-boy clothes and a few toys. We should have just gotten him a stack of wrapping paper and boxes since that's what he was the most interested in. Oh and thank heavens he woke up happier than he had been the last three days!
After we opened presents and visited our neighbors, we had the traditional Christmas breakfast casserole. It was delicious and way, way better than cold cereal and toast like Jeff suggested we have. Well worth the effort.
Grandpa and Grandma paid us a visit for breakfast and then all chaos ensued when my side of the family showed up and more gift giving took place. We definitely need a bigger house if we ever have Christmas at our house again! Seriously, I'm not kidding. I couldn't even see the floor with all the wrapping paper, boxes, gifts, and people. Crazy. Crazy. Crazy.Remote control cars all around!
Look, we got a treasure box filled with...
gold coins! Awesome.Then headed over my Aunt Julie and Uncle Bob's for some visiting that afternoon.
Finally, Pearl collapsed (with a fever too) in exhaustion from all the excitement. What a whirlwind. A wonderful, magical whirlwind.

4 comments:

Goodrich Goodnews said...

Sounds like a wonderful Christmas! Darling kids and great pictures. Love all your posts!

Jeff Johnson said...

M A G I C A L ! ! !

Sandy said...

Wow that sounds like an exhausting Christmas day! I was talking to Mike about making next year the first year we spend Christmas eve and day at our own house. It is quite exhausting to try to pack all our suitcases and presents in the car for the big trip to Utah.

Alicia Steere said...

What a fun day!! I LOVE that treasure chest too!!! :)