Sunday, January 2, 2011

Christmas Eve

There's so many pictures of Christmas and so many families to talk about, I decided to break up the memories with a Christmas Eve and then a Christmas Day post.

We always do two things on Christmas Eve... visit my Grandpa and Grandma then head over to Jeff's parent's house. I was really excited to give my grandparents their gift. Usually we give them something like a fruit basket or loaf of bread. Lame really, but what do you get people who have everything. Really, I'm pretty sure my grandparents have everything. Except a memory book of Bear Lake. Remember my "trailer trash" post a few months ago? I turned all those photos into a big picture book.
Then on the last page I listed out all of the memories Bear Lake has given us (you know, suburns and tan lines, raspberry milkshakes, sand in places I don't want to mention). I wish I could figure out if and how to post a link to it so you could all see it. It's awesome, if I do say so myself. I made it using a site called Picaboo and was so happy with how it turned out. The pictures were true to their original images and gorgeous. My grandma got a big kick out of it and was giggly and smiling over it. She kept laughing at all the little knick knacks in the book and told us all kinds of stories about them. I'd been waiting for months to give it to them and my mom is totally jealous of it. Best gift EVER! Oh and we also gave them another photo book of just our family and the adventures we've had this year. Yes, I spent a ton of time making these a few months before Christmas, stayed up way too late, and probably spent way too much on them but they were worth it when all the parents, grandparents, and David & Vickie opened their personalized books. Jeff's Dad always makes a delicious spread of food anytime we visit. I feel bad because I think all he does when we're there is cook for us. But man, is he a good cook. And Jeff's mom can always tell when I'm on my last straw with kids and way too tired so she's more than helpful in the holding a sick, ornery baby department. Poor Cole was horribly sick over Christmas. He'd been fussy for a few days but then had a high fever, couldn't sleep, refused to eat, and was just miserable. He stayed up until 2 a.m. Christmas Eve Eve (get it?) screaming. I was starting to worry that he might have an intestinal blockage instead of a mild ear infection and virus because he did nothing but scream and cry. He tried hard to be a good sport but just wasn't interested in presents, cousins, and all the craziness that Christmas brings. But like I said, that's why we have grandmas... to rock and snuggle with. I swear the kid only cuddles with his grandmas!It wasn't just Cole who was sick though. Jeff's brother, Roy, didn't make the trip over from Malad for the party. He must have been pretty miserable to skip out on Christmas. But no worry, Jeff and his mom made sure to carry on his rambunctious shinanagans with a squirt of Redi-whip right into Pearl's giggly mouth. The build up all day of waiting to open presents made certain Pearl was at all time peak hyperness at this point so she was more than willing to carry on Uncle Roy's tradition. And Jeff was happy to eat his first slice of pecan pie of the year, topped with about three inches of whipped cream.Pearl was pumped to finally get the present opening underway! And even more excited to get Despicable Me from Grandpa and Grandma, one of several DVDs on her wish list. The personal minion was pretty exciting too. She also got some new jammies from Aunt Cindy and Uncle Roy, which she promptly stripped down to put on and an "Angelina Ballerina" doll that she can strap to her feet and dance with. It's a little freaky looking but she loves it! And the best part is we can tell her to get Angelina when she wants to dance with us. Cole got some new blocks and stacking toys that I'm sure his big sister will claim before too long. I had to take a picture of them because I knew as soon as they got opened, we'd never get them to fit back in their box again without a reference photo!Jeff and I got some new pots and a Ninja blender. I think it was a hint by his Dad to start cooking again!Loads of fun, loads of loot, and loads of sleep needed from all the excitement and sickness. And Santa hadn't even come yet.