Sunday, September 13, 2009

Three strikes, you're out!

This is so embarrassing of me to admit, but recognizing your faults is the first step in repentance, right? Seriously, I think I've just had my third strike and God is about to blast me off the face of the earth with a lightning bolt. Really, I know I've had at least one big strike before this blunder and I wouldn't be surprise to find at least one or two more in between the first big oops and this one I'm about to admit.

Last Sunday they passed around a sign up sheet to help out with a meal for a funeral this past Friday. Thinking I could benefit from some extra heavenly blessings, and knowing that I actually could help out with this one since I don't work on Fridays so there really wasn't an excuse to not do some service - even not knowing who the funeral was for - I signed up to bring a cake. Easy. My plan was to bake it Thursday night so I'd remember to drop it off at the church by 2 pm on Friday. I even canceled a bread making lesson with a friend to fulfill my assignment. Well, not only did I get a call from the Relief Society saying they didn't need my cake anymore but wanted me to bring funeral potatoes instead (I admit I was kind of irked at them because when they called they said the primary was late in getting the sign up sheet back to them and that they knew I didn't usually do this stuff so they didn't want to make it harder on me... blah blah blah! I got off the phone thinking to myself make an old lady who has nothing to do make the funeral potatoes!), but worse I totally forgot to make the stupid funeral potatoes! It wasn't until 3:30 after I called Jeff that it suddenly dawned on me that I had completely forgotten that I had committed to this assignment. I was horrified! So much for the reminder note I had made for myself! I seriously thought about this everyday, except obviously on Friday! I felt, and still feel, like the biggest loser on the planet. When Jeff came home I admitted my stupidity, which was really hard to do, and he just laughed when he told me he had wondered if I had remembered when he drove by the church on his way home from work and saw a couple of ladies leaving with dishes.

I don't get how I can be so on top of things at work, well relatively speaking, not forgetting meetings or assignments, following my calendar and to-do lists religiously then have all organizational skills go flying out the window the second I walk in the door at home. I know it's just an excuse but I honestly think it's because at work I am so organized, calendar/to-do list driven, that when I come home, I want to leave all traces of work behind. We're lucky we even have a yearly calendar at home... although it's not full of scheduled items like making funeral potatoes, it's just a reference for USU basketball games and holidays. I don't want people to think I am a total loser who isn't dependable or reliable and that no one wants to ask for help from ever again. I feel like the biggest loser, especially because there isn't a way to make up for this one. Like you can re-do a funeral!

Anyone else out there that finds themselves doing things like this? Any suggestions on how I can stay as organized at home as I do at work, without being attached to my computer?

9 comments:

Jeff Johnson said...

Your best bet is a crackberry - but I'm not getting you one

Taneill said...

I fill for you! I have been there so many many times. And no matter how many reminder notes I write myself I still end up forgetting half of the things I needed to do.

Anonymous said...

Don't be so hard on yourself!! We've all forgotten things...no matter how much we try to remember. I do keep a calender on the side of my fridge that I jot things down on (like making potatoes for a funeral or a playdate for my boys). I just check on it every day or so and it generally keeps me straight. The problems arise when I don't jot the things down...gotta stop doing that.... *sigh* :)

Brooke said...

EVERYDAY!!!!

lindsey hill said...

I totally know how you are feeling. But I think Pearl is a doll and that you are a great mommmy!!!!

Alicia Steere said...

Oh my gosh, I did the same thing! When we were in Heber I got a call asking to make some sort of dessert salad for a funeral, well, that day came and went and I totally forgot to do it!!!

Kami said...

Having done several funerals, I can tell you that no one probably even noticed that you didn't bring potatoes. And there were probably a TON left over, so don't worry too much about it. I'm sure no one went hungry from your forgetfulness!

Alabama Apples said...

Seriously, I forget things ALL OF THE TIME!!! And-I read an article that explains Mommy-brain (seriously, and I also learned it in my repro. class)getting preggo and having children kills off your memory. No joke! High levels of progesterone damages the brain, especially in the areas for memory. The damage lessens the more time away from preg. you get, but we all know our mind gets fried from having children and then we get senile when we're old, so there is NO hope for us!!!;)

Truly, though, everyone has had this happen. To stay on top of things I write them on a board/calendar on my fridge. I have to write it down or I simply spaz and don't remember it. Sometimes that doesn't even help, either. But, you can always apologize and leave it at that. No worries, I'm sure they understand. If not, we all sure do!! You're not alone in your less-than-perfect-ness. ;)

Ricci said...

Hi jenny,
I hope you don't mind me looking on your blog, I am so glad I found it. I'm not sure if you remember me, I was your young women leader in Logan? Are you guys still in Bountiful I remember seeing you at the bountiful temple! Toni lehman actually got this started. She found me on facebook. Looks like things are going well for all of you girls! I hope you will keep in touch, my blog is riccidesertmama.blogspot.com,