Lessons learned
Oh the wisdom of a two-year-old. I mean who knew that dandelions are also known as "grasshoppers?" Or that Sleeping Beauty's real name is actually "Shake Your Booty!" (I guess they do sound kind of alike)? Or that holding hands, fingers interlocked and all, with your new boyfriend on the playground could be so much fun. Seriously, the things you can learn by following a spunky, strong-willed, child around. Of course that wisdom can eventually backfire on an unsuspecting parent... like today. I was picking up Pearl from daycare when her teacher said, "So, you spank your kid, huh?" What? I was totally caught off guard, trying to remember the last time I actually spanked Pearl. Trying to justify my apparent actions unbeknownst to me, Pearl's teacher told me that while they were on a little class walk, Pearl blurted out of the blue, "My mom spank my butt." For the record, yes I have spanked Pearl before but not recently! She's the one who usually goes around spanking MY butt (this little game her Dad taught where she whacks my butt over and over and says "Druma-druma-druma")! I'll admit I do threaten her with a spanking but it's never mean or as punishment, more playfulness but apparently that will be changing now!
Other lessons learned recently... I finished a book by Dr. Laura called "The proper care and feeding of husbands." At points I almost tossed it out the window but determined to gain some insight into Jeff's point of view, hopefully resulting in my being a better wife, I kept reading. A mere 48 hours later, this is all I can remember:
- Husbands put up with a lot more crap than we wives realize or want to admit. Give 'em a break and let them read the paper, surf online, or play in the garage when they get home from work.
- Stop nagging.
- Do not treat your husband like your girlfriend! Treat him like your knight in shining armor...which means, he doesn't need or want to hear all the little details about why your day was so horrible! If he can't fix it, don't nag it do death.
- Dress sexy and smell good.
- Embrace your role as wife and mother and your husband's role as husband and father. Forget all the crazy things society has been telling us for years about how husbands should basically throw their manhood out the windows to cater to our every whim. Make dinner, clean the house, take care of the kids, and remember that husbands do things they don't always like to do to keep the house/family running too.
- Take care of yourself... work out, lose the flab, do your hair, and get out of the pajamas and frump clothes.
- Ask him for his opinion, really listen to him, and realize that men have feelings too (although they don't complain about their feelings like us women do).
I'm sure you can see why I almost tossed this book but it was pretty eye-opening to read about how much society has bashed on men and that we blindly accept the idea that husbands should just bow down and worship their wives without anything in return. I'll be honest, I don't anticipate Jeff coming home to a wife in heels, wearing pearls and a short skirt (which would require working out), and pushing a vacuum while a delicious gourmet dinner is in the oven anytime soon, but I'm working on it.
6 comments:
I'd settle for half. How is that for a loving (and compromising) husband.
Just don't tell me yet what I'm supposed to do for you that I'm not. Unless that's a little game of drumma drumma drumma!
"Shake your booty" made me laugh aloud! I know, children love to tell everyone your deepest darkest secrets (embellished of course)as well as normal things skewed funny.
Interesting book...there are some points that DO have merit, though...hmmm
I read that book a while ago and it was very interesting. For the personal upkeep like loosing weight, dressing nice and all are for me personally and my self-esteem. But Mike benefits. I really did like the book.
you are so funny! I read about half of that book at didn't want to hear anymore of it so you are a better person then me. I guess I am a little more selfish and want the same treatment in return!
I think I got that book for our wedding and I have yet to open it...
I'm proud you made it all the way through, and you remembered WAY more points than I did! You're awesome!
Post a Comment