Thursday, June 5, 2008

Happy Birthday Pearl!

The day has finally come, my baby is 1!!! We tried to make the day memorable, not that Pearl will remember any of this, but it seemed like everything we tried just didn't turn out quite as we had imagined. First off, the cupcakes I made for Pearl's teachers and friends at daycare melted (why is it that every time I make cupcakes the frosting melts on them?). Then we decided to come home early and go swimming. Well, the weather was cold and rainy so the outside pirate ship was out so we tried the indoor kiddie pool. Just as we got to the rec center we noticed this mass exodus of wet kids and found out that someone had pooped in the pool and it was closed for an hour! What a crappy birthday, literally!!! So, we ran home, after bundling up to even venture over to the pool because it was freezing, and decided to try our luck at dinner instead. We went out and tried ordering food that we thought Pearl would enjoy. Note to self, just order what I want to eat! We got home and prepared for what I was hoping would be a plethora of adorable pictures with Pearl smashing cupcakes all over her face for her birthday. She had a great time, mainly because she thought the blanket was for a fort again, but the pictures, well you'll have to be the judge about whether we got any cute ones.



And because this is my blog and I can post as much as I want, I thought it would be fun to quickly summarize what happened one year ago when this funny, adorable, and busy little girl entered our lives. I hadn't had any contractions or nothin' until I went into labor. I woke up in the middle of the night and thought "ouch" what was that? So I laid there in bed trying not to wake up Jeff and sure enough about 10 minutes later another contraction. Hmmm...this is weird and I really hope they don't hurt this bad the whole time I thought to myself. Boy was I wrong! Those women who say contractions don't hurt at all are crazy. I ended up on the couch trying to sleep and then got ready for work just like normal. After all, Pearl wasn't supposed to come for another two weeks and I figured I was going to have these contractions off and on for awhile. I made sandwiches for lunch and Jeff walked into the kitchen just as I had a really hard contraction, which were coming about every 4 minutes or so at this point, and a knife in my hand (from making sandwiches of course), took one look at me and said this kid is coming today. I made him take me to work because I had a ton to do before she came but by 10 am couldn't make it any longer. Not because of the contractions, they stopped as soon as Jeff wasn't around me but because I was really tired. So Jeff drives back to my office and takes me home, and did I mention that as soon as I called him the contractions started up again? We got home, he kissed me goodbye and said don't let your water break on the couch. I was still in denial about the idea of Pearl coming and said I would be fine. No sooner had Jeff got back to his office and told his co-workers that we were having a baby today, then I jumped off the couch and my water broke! I freaked out, thinking oh my heck I just peed my pants, no wait, my water just broke - get me to the hospital NOW! After what seemed like forever, Jeff got back home and threw me and my bag (which I had packed the day before) and took off to LDS Hospital. We called my parents to tell them today was the day and my dad laughed at us. It probably didn't help that a few weeks before during our tour of the labor and delivery ward at the hospital that Jeff called them to say we were at the hospital. My dad wouldn't believe Jeff until I screamed dad we aren't kidding right in the middle of a contraction!!! We got to the hospital about 2 and I was dilated to a 4 or 5 so they hurried and got me an epidural. We got the very last delivery room, good thing Jeff was speeding the whole way there. Everything went really fast after the epidural. The nurses kept telling me that first time moms usually spend hours and hours in labor and hours pushing. Jeff's parents came down soon after we got to the hospital, my parents still didn't believe that it was happening so fast, and took Jeff to dinner. I guess he was tired of sitting in the room watching baseball. Honestly, I'm surprised he stuck around as long as he did - he hates hospitals. While they were enjoying a yummy meal, the nurse came back and checked me again. I was dilated to an 8 and going fast. Not long after Jeff got back, they had me push just to see how things were going to go. Well, I pushed and the nurse said, okay time to stop I can see her head! YIKES!!! They called my doctor who just happened to be clear across the valley and not very happy to be coming to the hospital. He had tickets to the Utah Blaze game with his daughter. I had to wait almost an hour for him to finally get to the hospital (after the nurses called him again and said if you miss this baby it's your own fault). He literally walked in, put on a gown, and two pushes later Pearl was here! She was born at 7:41 pm, weighing 6 lbs. 7 oz. and 20 inches long. The first thing I remember was seeing her with these huge buggy looking eyes (I don't blame her for the scared look on her face, I mean I would freak out too if I were my mom) and then holy cow, she has my dad's ears and tons of dark, nearly black hair! My doctor thanked us for letting him get to the football game on time (still waiting for a refund for the hospital bill, ha!) and we were left to ponder about how we were going to take care of this tiny, adorable baby girl! Jeff did great and didn't pass out or barf like I had expected. She was and still is perfect and we are so grateful to have her! Happy birthday Pearl! We love you!

12 comments:

Natelli Johnston said...

I just love reading about births. It is a day you will never forget. I remember all three of my boys births very distinctly. Thank you so much for your sweet comment! and the pics of Pearl eating her cupcakes are priceless.

Jeff Johnson said...

What a great kid - I hope I can say those lines after a week of Jeff and Pearl while Jenny is in Baltimore.

Just to be clear - I went to dinner with my parents because Jenny told me to. I think it was the last time she only had to think about me. Now it Pearl this and Pearl that, with small amounts of Jeff. But that is fine. I'm glad we have our Pearl!

Shelly Traveller said...

Cute Pictures! It sounds like she had a good birthday anyway.
I also love birth stories, it sounds like you had a good one.

Your husband is hilarious!

Sandy said...

That's an awesome story. Sounds like a whirlwind of a day. Can't even imagine what it will be like for me.

Unknown said...

Too cute! I can absolutely picture the whe day o' labor :) Happy birthday Pearl! Way to be a cute mom! And thanks for the cute comment :) I miss the days when we used to talk fr hours in the car in the driveway :)

Clayton and Heidi said...

Happy Birthday to Pearl. Loved the story. Can't really say that I'm all that excited about giving birth when that day comes. Loved how your husband told you not to let your water break on the couch!!! Also congrats on the new job. I will never be a domestic goddess either.

Haylee Munk Brown said...

I think your pictures are great! And I loved hearing about when you had her, although it makes me nervous for some day when I will be in that position!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Pearl! Greetings from Minnesota! The Big One Year is a very important birthday.

You are growing up to be a beautiful little girl. And more charming by the day. You have the best of everything--good genes and a nurturing environment. I can tell your mommy and daddy love you very, very much.

Hope your birthday was really, really fun!

Best regards,

Kris O

P.S. Have you started talking to Mom and Dad about getting you a little brother or sister to play with? Just a thought...they need quite a bit of lead time to make this happen...

Charee B Mcclellan said...

Happy belated birthday to cute little pearl. She was very cute with cake smashed all over her little face. I am excited for our little one to do that also in a few months.

Sounds like your delivery was a litte more exciting then mine was.. too bad I don't have a fun story... no I do, just different!!

Jenny said...

Hey thanks everyone for posting comments! It must be a girl thing to want to hear birth stories. For all my friends without kids yet, giving birth was a breeze but it was the pregnancy that was really hard. My mom said I deserved a smooth and fast labor because I was so sick for the first 5 months. And to Kris, it will take a really, really long lead time! Ha!

Miriam said...

Hi Jenny! Just found your blog from Becky H.'s and wanted to say hi! Fun to see you and especially your cute girl!

Brooke said...

Happy Birthday!! She is so cute!