Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Greetings from Baltimore!

I'm in Baltimore, away from Pearl and Jeff again! I guess you could say I have now officially started my new job since I left Saturday for a week long class on violence and injury prevention. I guess I can't complain too much because I am getting credit for the class for my MPH (if I get the paper done) but it is sooooooooo boring! And the chairs are extremely uncomfortable so sitting on them for 8 hours a day is nearly killing me! I'm always amazed that after sitting all day that the last thing I want to do is go walk around or exercise but I've made myself go down to the gym or at least walk around the neighborhood a little to get the wiggles out (and help my sore bottom). My hotel is nice though and is near the George Washington monument. I guess it was the first monument dedicated to GW. We also went down to the Inner Harbor tonight before the storm rolled in. It had a really cool atmosphere and I found a super cute tee-shirt for Pearl. Here are some pics and yes, I even made sure to get one with me in it.


Here's the tee-shirt I got Pearl. Even though she does get a little "crabby" she is still super cute!

Don't know why, but I thought this little fish was kind of cool. I really wanted to get a picture of me kissing it but since I've only known my new co-workers for a few days figured I better hold off the fish kissing photos. Maybe tomorrow I'll get one!

Ok, so this picture is for Jeff. I saw the ESPN Zone and immediately thought of him. I promise to go back to Inner Harbor tomorrow and look for a cool shirt from him!
This building is the aquarium. It was closed when we got to Inner Harbor but was still a neat building I thought.

I figured me by a cannon was about as cool of a picture as I was getting this week.

This is Inner Harbor. It had a cool vibe, with people playing music all over the place and shops and restaurants galore.

Washington Monument right across the street from our hotel. I really don't know the history behind it but there is a big statue of George himself on the top. There is also this gorgeous cathedral behind it.
I've never been to Baltimore before and didn't realize how hot and humid it was out East. Tonight though a severe thunderstorm is rolling in. And for anyone who really knows me, they know I am terrified of thunder and lightning and the wind. I know moms have to be "big girls" about this whole thing but since I'm not home with my sweet Pearl, I can be a big baby alone! I even called Jeff and told him I was scared and he laughed. I guess you never really get rid of your childhood fears.

Speaking of Jeff and Pearl, boy I sure miss them. A week is way too long to be away. Oh sure, it's nice to sleep in a bit but I would give that up to go home and see them right now. I'm really homesick and every time I call home, Pearl is more interested in playing or pushing buttons on the phone than talking to me. Not that she really talks but even a little babble or "mama" would make my whole day. Jeff is the best though, he's had her the whole time and always does great with her. Yesterday he took her swimming and out to dinner and has gotten up early with her every day I've been gone. And he does it without complaining! He really is a great husband and is very helpful around the house and with Pearl. But just to be clear ladies, he's already taken!!! Although he does like to joke that he is ready for a trade-in. Too bad I'm not returnable!!!

8 comments:

Haylee Munk Brown said...

I hope that all goes well while you are in Baltimore! It looks nice! I have never been myself. I am sure that Jeff and Pearl will be great, but they will be glad when you are home!!!

Unknown said...

You must get a fish kissing picture! It looks like you're having tons of fun!!!! There is really nothing like a New England thunderstorm ...I miss it, not gonna lie :) And I miss you! We need to be in the same state again sometime soon!

Jeff Johnson said...

I can't speek for Pearl but I am confident that I am ready for your to be home. I will begin my "strike" (fathers day present) of not changing diapers for a month starting Thursday night after Pearl goes to bed.
Thank Friggin Goodness for Mama!

Taneill said...

Hi Jenny-
Of course I remember you- you were always so cute and nice. It is so fun to hear from you. I am glad you found our blog. I want to add your blog to mine. Baltimore looks fun. My husband and I were there about two years ago for a conference. We are living in Salt Lake right now. I am glad I can stay in touch with you now.

Taneill C Thurgood

Kami said...

This too shall pass...you'll be home soon, and Pearl probably won't even have noticed you were gone. Sometimes Cooper asks when I'm going back to work. Those are the days I wonder the same thing! :)

Clayton and Heidi said...

Baltimore looks fun. Although I bet you would enjoy it more if Jeff and Pearl were there.
P.S. sometimes thunderstorms scare me too.

Alabama Apples said...

Hooray for your new job! What a wonderful hubby you have. HE sounds like a domestic GOD. Maybe he could come visit me for a couple days a month? We could swap! Mine is so funny and romantic...but a little lacking in the domestic area... Pearl is so beautiful! Happy Birthday to her. She has the prettiest eyes! What a doll! Isn't it wonderful how things start to fall into place. THe Lord is always aware of us, even when we're not always aware of what is just right!

Shanda said...

I am so glad you found our blog. I do remember you guys and I told Travis about your post! He says Hi! If you don't mind I'm going to add you guys to our favs list! Your daughter is adorable!