Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Lazy P Ranch

We did Pearl's most favorite thing over the 24th of July weekend.

Head down to the Lazy P Ranch in Orangeville. And skip out on our own town's celebration.

Tradition has it that Friday night is a wienie roast over a big bonfire. In past years, it's been nothing more than my family and Aunt Karen's clan since they own the ranch. But when we pulled in this time, the crowd had grown substantially! It was a bit weird to see so many people but great too. Even my cousins made it down, who pathetically we haven't seen in probably two years even though they live about 30 minutes from us.

Apparently that's why you have family reunions.



Saturday is the family lunch, auction, games, zip line, horseback riding, Peacock cash store, Aunt Beuhla's cream puffs (I'd drive 3,000 miles to have one), and another wienie roast. Like we need anymore food after our lunch feast.




Pearl got the most adorable peacock tutu. I think I'm going to copy it and make a "big girl" sized one for me to wear on Halloween. Jeff surprised me with a bid to get another jewelry box made by my Grandpa. This one is a musical jewelry box. Now I have enough to be able to give Pearl and Cole one when they are bigger. I think this will probably be the last year my Grandpa brings anything handmade to the reunion.


This year, we also pulled our 4 wheelers down and Jeff and I sneaked away to redeem our anniversary ride flop. You can read more about that later. They were a BIG hit with all the kids! My poor cousin Zac sort of got forced into taking his kids for a ride by me, which lasted a good three hours of back and forth around the ranch. I think he was glad I kept pressuring him to take one for a spin. My cousin Marcie (his wife)? Not so much. Especially after my dad's cousin Kevin opened up the "Red Neck Water Park" aka the gate for accessing the river behind the ranch. That was Pearl's favorite thing the entire weekend... she begged anyone with keys to the ATVs to drive her through the water and get her wet.





On the way home we stopped at the train station rest stop in Spanish Fork Canyon. We always drive by and think, huh we should stop there next time. Well? It wasn't really worth the stop except that I had to pee. The Scipio petting zoo was much more entertaining. 


We really missed Uncle Paul and Uncle Jim. It just didn't feel the same without them. There wasn't nearly as much storytelling and ironically, cursing. And the bonfire wasn't nearly as big.... pfff about the fire restrictions throughout the state.

I love Castle Country. 




No comments: