Sunday, July 29, 2012

Gettin' down and dirty

Jeff and I got down and dirty at the family reunion.

Oh yeah.

Not that kind, people! Geez! This is a G-rated family blog.

I mean, we got sopping wet and covered from head to toe (and everywhere in between) in mud on the ATVs.

A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

Thank you Arapeen Trail and Reeder Canyon (and cousin Kevin for telling us to try it)! Oh and my parents for watching the dwarfs so we could three hours having a blast. My miserably disappointing 10-year anniversary getaway is now a distant memory after this ride. Seriously, the best trail ride ever!


My Dad is so funny. He brought his 4 wheeling clothes just in case he got to go for a ride too :) He did. Although he didn't come back nearly as muddy as we did. Anyway, when he saw me getting ready with just tennis shoes, he grabbed his boots and insisted I wear them. I said, nah I'll be ok but ended up giving in. Boy, am I glad! Minus the two tiny spots where muddy water eventually made it's way through and into my socks, they kept my feet dry and clean.
 

Now when I say we got dirty, I mean we got dirty. The trail was amazing! There was a little bit of everything.... pine trees, open spaces, hills, jumps, rocky climbs, streams to cross, switchbacks, a lake, rock slides, and gorgeous scenery. I even saw a deer in a small clearing! Every dip and hill had a giant mud puddle and the bottom and in true Johnson style, both of us raced through them. Sometimes multiple times just to see how high we could splash the mud over us. And to get video of the fun.

Did I mention this was AWESOME? I can't believe how much fun I had. Until I hit this metal pole 50 inches from another metal pole, designed to keep any ATVs wider than 50 inches off the trail. Um. Yeah. That was dumb. And it hurt. Jeff gave me a stern lecture about not being so crazy... blah, blah, blah. But back to the mud....

By the time we got to the top of the mountain, our faces and teeth were speckled in mud and the rest of us? Well. Covered in brown mud and sopping wet. When I'm in control of getting wet, I enjoy it. When Mother Nature is in charge? Not so much. 



We followed two guys in a side-by-side up the trail who kindly took our picture and shared some tips on the "hairy" parts of the trail to come. Good guys... even if they were wearing BYU attire. I think this might be the first (and probably only) picture of Jeff and I on the trail without half of our bodies or heads cut off. 




Hmmm... I think I look good with freckles. 


Jeff came back down the trail looking for me 'cause he said I was slow. I was trying not to be so crazy like he told me. Plus, I kept seeing these patches of gorgeous, tall, deep purple wildflowers tucked in the pine trees that I had to get a picture of. 


Gorgeous view of Joe's Valley Resivoir. The wakes from the few boats on it were spectacular against the turquoise colored water. 


Here are the after-ride shots to prove just how muddy we were. When we got back to the ranch, everyone kept staring at us, trying to figure out how in the world we had gotten caked in mud? My Uncle Bob just laughed and laughed at me.


Still not quite sure how I managed to get mud all the way up to my back. But it was well worth the laundry when we got home!



All smiles after this ride. Even if my smile was speckled with mud and I looked like I had a beard.


And the poor 4 wheelers were as covered as we were! By the time we got back to the truck, all the mud had dried, leaving behind one big mess to clean up. But weeks later, they are still sitting on the trailer caked in mud, waiting for a good rainstorm to clean them off. Or another epic ride!


Seriously the best ride ever! New favorite trail! We are definitely coming back! And when we do, I'm hoping it's just as down and dirty as the first time.

No comments: