Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Countdown to Easter

Super moms must really exist.

Take this super cute and wonderfully spiritual idea to remind us what Easter is really about - our Savior, Jesus Christ - from Chocolate on My Cranium. Seriously. How do people come up with this stuff? Let alone find time to make it available to everyone else in the universe?Granted, anything Easter is an easy sell for me. It's my favorite holiday and time of the year anyway but I'll be the first to admit I get caught up in all the excitement of egg hunts, Easter bunnies, baby animals, and the traditional foods. But when I saw "The Living Christ: A 30 Day Easter Countdown" I knew I had to do something different. I had to try and teach my family -myself included - why we Easter and why we need to focus on Christ during this time of year.

So I bought $80 worth of ink to get our printer back up and running (and $6 worth of rocks to fill the vase... I didn't want to find rocks in the snow and cold today... but the branch was free thanks to Jeff's pruning), and printed out our 30 day countdown. Of course, I am NOT a super mom so we're about two weeks behind schedule. I can only contain the excitement of one holiday at a time so we waited until St. Patrick's Day was over. Each night during dinner we pick a couple of the cards and talk - very, very briefly - with Pearl about them. There are different activities, videos, and music to have daily devotionals about each card for the rest of you super moms, but we don't do that much.
I'm not sure what everyone thinks of this. Yesterday, our card told us that another name for Christ is "the Creator." We told Pearl Jesus created the whole earth.... water, mountains, flowers, animals, trees, etc. She asked us, "Even paper?" To which we answered, "well kind of. He made trees and paper is made out of trees." Then she got a puzzled look on her face, wrinkled up her nose and basically said that was the most ridiculous thing she'd ever heard. "I've never seen paper on trees!" We all laughed.Hopefully something spiritual will stick after 30 days.

3 comments:

creatividadsiempre.blogspot.com said...

Love this idea - stealing it for next year.

Kami said...

Cute idea! Wish you'd posted it three weeks ago...ha!

Amy said...

You definitely fall into the super Mom category!