Uncle Paul had some pretty unique flower arrangements.... the lazy P, a cattle head, John Deere tractor, and a saddle on his casket. I didn't get a picture of it, but Uncle Jim had a golf bag filled with flowers. It was a beautiful day!



Always a bit weird to see your name in a cemetery. Jesse David and Minnie Reid Jewkes are my great-great grandparents on my Dad's side. Their son, Royal S. was my great-grandfather. 
Jesse Delos is my great Uncle. And my family's claim to fame... he was the voice of God in the 10 Commandments. True. And I was excited to see he was married to his wife Belle A. Gardner on my birthday!
Family history is way easier when there's a plague telling you everyone's names.
Samuel Jewkes is my great-great-great grandfather I believe. I think we come through his first wife, Sophia L. At the "This is the Place Heritage Park" in Salt Lake City, there's also the Samuel Jewkes home. Cool. He is buried under this really cool, old tree.


Fern really is a family name! Couldn't stop laughing over this one.
Until we saw a Pearl Jewkes too! Jeff rubbed it in my Dad's face a bit that Pearl is a family name... ha! When we told him we wanted to name her Pearl, he said, why? He didn't like at all! We told him because it was a family name (and it was our kid so we could name her what we wanted) to which he replied, no it isn't. Um, yeah it is Dad... on Jeff's side. He was a bit embarrassed.
When your ancestors come from a small town, you're bound to find a bit of close inbreeding at some point. I don't know how, but somewhere along the lines the Jewkes and Peacocks intertwined a few too close branches on the family tree. So on to the Peacock side.Here's my great-grandparents' headstone (Hilma Grange and George Kenneth Peacock). Grandma Peacock... I miss her. She died when I was in college. Growing up she and I were pen pals. I even wrote a letter to her and addressed it "Grandma Peacock Orangeville, Utah" and it got to her! She was the best cook and made the most delicious pies! The last one we ate was at my Grandma and Grandpa Jewkes' mission send-off party. My Aunt Beulah looks just like her.
My Grandpa carved the flowers on the headstone. If you come to my house, you will see these wild roses in other crafts he has made.
This is my great-great grandparents (Delroy Lynn and Orpha A. Peacock) I think.
Now, I'm sure somewhere along the way I've forgotten a great or added one too many greats, so Aunt Denise, Aunt Julie you need to comment and correct everything! I sort of feel like I'm my own grandpa at this point!
1 comment:
That's right Jen, You are your own grandfather! ha ha ha, one of my favorite stories to tell people who are not from Utah!
Aunt Julie
Post a Comment