Monday, November 7, 2011

Everything happens in 3's

Everything happens in threes.

But three family deaths in less than a month is enough, thank you. When my laptop fried, I wasn't able to post anything about my Uncle Paul, Uncle Jim, or Grandma Great.

Uncle Paul died unexpectedly on October 13, 2011. Uncle Paul is my Grandma Jewkes' brother. He was a rough-talking, honest old cowboy who'd drive the ends of the earth for anyone in need. You just had to get past his rough exterior.
When my Aunts asked me for a favorite memory of Uncle Paul to read at his funeral, I knew just the one.... We went to the Peacock reunion for the first time about five or six years ago. It had been a long time since I'd been to Orangeville, let alone seen Uncle Paul and Aunt Karen. My Grandpa and Dad were supposed to have already been at the ranch by the time we got there. We pulled up to the ranch and realized we were the first ones there. We weren't even sure if this was the place or not and debated about whether we should go knock on the door or not. But we figured they'd probably seen us drive up, so we might as well see if it was the right house. I knocked on the door. I was nervous because I wasn't sure I'd recognize Uncle Paul or Aunt Karen and I was pretty certain they wouldn't recognize me. Uncle Paul answered. Before I could say anything he blurted out, "Who the HELL are you?" I didn't know if I should be scared, turn around and run to the car, or laugh. Thank heavens Aunt Karen stepped in to save us. She hollered back at Uncle Paul, "Let them in! That's Kenny's daughter." Then Uncle Paul laughed. And we've never missed a Peacock reunion since.

Here's the full obituary (mostly for posterity's sake):

ORANGEVILLE – Paul K Peacock, age 73, passed away October 13, 2011, in Price, Utah. Paul was born October 27, 1937, in Orangeville, Utah as the third of four children born to G. Kenneth and Hilma Grange Peacock. He married Karen Oveson on December 25, 1956, in Castle Dale, Utah. Paul and Karen were married for almost 55 years.

Paul graduated from South Emery High School in 1955. He was the proud owner of the Lazy P Ranch. He was a very accomplished farmer and cattle rancher. He was also very fond of colorful language. In 1966, Paul met Bill W. and became a friend for life. He attributed all of his accomplishments to that friendship. He was a lifetime member of the American Herford Association. He especially loved his family, friends, farming, and a good auction, be it cattle or antiques. He enjoyed refurbishing antique furniture. Paul will be remembered as a hardworking and loving husband, father, grandfather, brother, and friend.

He is survived by his wife, Karen; two children: Lori (Nathan) Kluzek of Syracuse, Utah, and Kevin (Charlene) Peacock of Orangeville, Utah; one sister, Beulah (James Lee) Jensen of Price, Utah; one brother, Delroy (Janet) Peacock of Castle Dale, Utah; one brother-in-law, Don Jewkes of Logan, Utah; three sisters-in-law: Isabelle Oveson of Huntington, Utah, Donna Witbeck of Oregon City, Oregon, and Pamela Oveson of Salt Lake City, Utah; eight grandchildren: Joe, Griffen, and Greg Jorgensen, Josie and Lili Ana Kluzek, Karleen Peacock, Kayla (Tanner) Olson, and Kendra (Brandon) Rigby; and seven great-grandchildren: Anysia Jorgensen, Kayleigh Dawn Eley, Karsten Peacock, Trinity and Tyler Olson, and Kamden and Kenleigh Rigby.

He was preceded in death by his parents; a sister, Nan Jewkes; and three brothers-in-law, Valdean and Howard Oveson and Jerry Witbeck.

Uncle Jim died unexpectedly 8 days after Uncle Paul. The family lovingly joked that Uncle Jim had to get up their fast to explain a few things to God so Uncle Paul wouldn't get kicked out of Heaven. Uncle Jim was married to my Aunt Beulah (my Grandma Jewkes' sister). I always admired Uncle Jim's love of genealogy. He knew everything about my Grandma's family. When I was working for the Genomics Program at the Utah Department of Health, I did a lot of family health history projects. One of them was developing a family reunion toolkit to help you collect a health history from your relatives. I didn't know the Peacock family very well when we went down to Uncle Paul's ranch. But Uncle Jim was more than happy and excited to see my project and help me. He told me all about his own family's health history and the genetic studies he'd participated in at the University of Utah. I loved listening to him, Uncle Paul, and my Grandpa tell stories about their mischievous, hell-raising teenage years. How the three of them ever talked Aunt Beulah, Aunt Karen, and Grandma into marrying them I'll never know :)

Here is Uncle Jim's obituary:

PRICE – James Lee “Jim” Jensen, age 77, passed away at his home in Price on October 21, 2011. He was born November 29, 1934 in Orangeville, Utah, to Leo Joseph and Alice Cyrena Davis Jensen. He married his high school sweetheart, Beulah Peacock, in the Manti LDS Temple on July 22, 1954. Jim grew up in Orangeville. He attended South Emery High, Carbon College and BYU.

He was employed for 37 years at Carbon School District as a teacher, principal and district administrator.

He served in various callings in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, including Bishop, Stake President, Manti Temple Presidency, Temple Sealer, Patriarch, and director of the Price Family History Center. Jim and Beulah served a mission in Atlanta, Georgia. He also served on the Price City Council for 24 years. His whole life was spent serving family, friends, church, and community.

Jim is survived by his wife, Beulah; children: Kerry (Kelley) Jensen, Larry (LaRae) Jensen, Scott (Susan) Jensen, all of Price, Rita (Curtis) Snow of West Jordan, Keith (Kelli) Jensen of Spring Glen, and Vera Cardy of Gallop, New Mexico; 27 grandchildren and 29 great-grandchildren; a brother, Blain (Virginia) Jensen of Brentwood, California; a sister, RaeOna (Tom) Huntsman of Salt Lake City, Utah; a brother-in-law, Delbert Peterson of Price; a brother-in-law, Delroy (Janet) Peacock of Castle Dale; a brother-in-law, Don Jewkes of Logan, and a sister-in-law, Karen Peacock of Orangeville.

He was preceded in death by his parents; sisters, Lucile, Thelma and Phyllis; brothers, Clive and Ted; a great-grandchild, Hunter Jensen, father and mother-in-law, Hilma and Kenneth Peacock, brother-in-law, Paul Peacock and a sister-in-law, Nan Jewkes.

I didn't think I'd get as teary-eyed at the funerals as I did. I didn't know Uncle Jim as well as Uncle Paul but I loved them both. I felt so connected to my Grandma when we'd go to the ranch every summer and see them. I miss my Grandma so much. And was only reminded of her more during their funerals. That, and left to wonder what everyone would say about me if I died today. I hope it's as wonderful as the legacies these two men left behind.

No comments: