Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Labor Day Weekend: Bloomington Lake

A little hint to the Forrest Service, you'd save folks a lot of time, bouncing around, and headache if there was a sign pointing the way to Bloomington Lake. Apparently part of the adventure of Bloomington is actually finding the place. Especially if it's been 15 years since you've last been there and have no clue if you should go right then left or right then right or left then left or left then right. (It's actually left at the first fork in the road then right at the second, if you're wondering.)

My Mom had so much fun with my Raspberry Days exploration to the Paris Ice Caves, that she wanted us to head up to Bloomington Lake. Too bad for us, we got lost and drove up the wrong road until I was about to jump out of the truck myself from all the anxiety that was building up with every bump and rut in the road. Jeff was a good sport about it and tried his best to make me smile and laugh. But I was pretty grumpy about the whole adventure. Had been all day for some reason. I did tell him, if I saw a moose it would make up for getting lost (and the sticky kids in the backseat). This little conversation is important to remember....

Apparently everyone else had the same idea my Mom did. The place was packed! We were lucky to find a parking spot. It made me laugh that we even got lost because we had passed so many trucks heading back from the lake and upon seeing the entire parking lot full. Everyone was swinging off the rope swing into the freezing, pristine mountain water. They were a bit nuts in my mind... there was still snow next to the lake!
There are actually two smaller lakes you pass before getting to Bloomington Lake. By the time Pearl and I made our way to the second lake, it was 5 o'clock. The exact time that Pearl has to go the bathroom EVERY SINGLE DAY. Every single day, without fail. A family passing us when Pearl told me she couldn't hold it or walk back to the public restrooms (which probably stunk so she wouldn't have used them anyway), to watch out for stinging nettle. Great. Not only did I have to trudge Pearl over to some hidden rock cove, but now I had to hold her up in the air so she wouldn't pee all over her shorts or get stinging nettle all over her little bum. Oh the adventures of motherhood. And being a girl. Cole will have it much easier.Speaking of having it easier, Cole also suckered Grandpa into carrying him the entire way to the lake. Thanks Dad!Jesse snapped this photo when I was dealing with Pearl's potty emergency. Look at how clear the water is... that reflection is amazing!
Pearl and I eventually did make it to Bloomington Lake, well after everyone else. Look how gorgeous everything is! The wildflowers and fall berries were still out in bloom too. Rex loves the water. Just like Sam did.So did Ruby. She had a slight meltdown because she couldn't jump right in.Remember what I said to Jeff as we were lost? That if I saw a moose the trip would be worth it? Well, as luck would have it, there was a moose! I guess I can't be grumpy about our adventure anymore. Oh, and we also saw two moose in Sardine Canyon and Jeff saw a moose at the summit above Bear Lake in Logan Canyon! September must be moose's favorite time of the year.

No comments: