Sunday, March 6, 2011

Something's stuck

It's only taken 79 pages to finally sink in.

Scripture study is here to stay.

Even on those days when Mom and Dad are the ones counting down the verses until we're done. Like two days ago when I stopped reading in the middle of my verse and told Jeff the Spirit was gone and I was done. I probably should have kept reading until the Spirit came back, oh well.

But we keep persevering through tantrums, impromptu laughter, farts (I won't mention which family members are guilty of those disruptions), and toy throwing. And tonight it finally hit me that maybe, just maybe it's paying off.

Pearl told us during bath time that her favorite scripture was when Nephi went to the beach (which she later told me was Bear Lake). With his mean brothers who wouldn't play ball with him. And the three women who get their heads cut off. Oh and she also likes Joseph and a new scripture character - who apparently only exists in her copy of the Book of Mormon - Curly. Curly's a girl by-the-way.

Hey, I'm just glad she was BEGGING us to read scriptures tonight. Even if it might have been just a trick to stay up longer.

3 comments:

Kami said...

Our only rule during scriptures is to be quiet. But I think I need to add no farting to the short list.

Sandy said...

That is great Jenny! Not for the faint of heart. It is hard to start but after a while the kiddos will expect and always remind us to do it. That is how Olivia is with evening family prayer.

One day I will finally get us to do family scripture study or regular fhe.

Alabama Apples said...

Whew! Fabulous record. We are still in and out of the habit. It seems we do great for a long time, but then we're thrown off for a little and it wrecks everything...

Isn't wonderful when you can get glimpses that our children are listening. I know the Lord thinks about me when I see that, because I'm sure He knows I would have given up mothering long ago if it weren't for those little tender mercies!