Monday, February 21, 2011

Saving grace

I glanced down (and up) at two things this week that made me pause. One of those really, long pauses where you see your whole life flash before your eyes. Ok, so maybe not your whole life. And I thought, has it really come to this? Dust and cobwebs?
Gross. I can't believe I actually posted those pictures.

I'd like to say
that thick layer of dead skin (Isn't that what you learn dust mostly is when you're in third grade?) is sitting there because I spend all my time gently teaching my children to be self-sufficient, perfect little beings but it's not. I yell at my kids, lose my patience a hundred zillion times a day, and let them watch T.V. more than I want to admit. If you asked Pearl what my best words are she'd probably say, "Just a minute!"

I'd like to say those thick cobwebs are there because I spend all my free time working out, perfecting my photography, turning some random crafty hobby into a booming bloggy business, taking my children to the park everyday, refinishing old furniture, saving thousands in grocery bills because I'm a coupon-clipping-deal-savvy-extraordinaire, and cooking gourmet meals for my family (
I'm exaggerating!!!). But it's not. I'm flabby, can't fit into 3/4 of the clothes in my closet, and haven't seen the inside of a gym for two years. I can't stand those penny-pinching websites. Seriously, who needs an 8 year food storage supply full of processed foods you shouldn't eat anyway, just because they were a good deal? I dread over what to cook for dinner and feel terrible that some days we don't eat a single serving of fruits and vegetables. I hate cooking. I hate grocery shopping. And I hate meal planning.

Until today. Behold, the saving grace of my family's mealtimes. Well, this and my secret
craze for The Food Nanny. Ever heard of her? She's this way too perky lady who's mission is to save family dinnertime with a two-week "theme night" meal planning idea. I almost can't stand to watch her she's so perky but her idea seems to really work.
Jeff is still reeling in shock that I actually bought a cookbook. Oh, don't think I don't own any. I have a whole cupboard full of them. But this is the first time I've been counting down the days to buy one. Why you wonder? Well, my BFF in 2nd grade, Kate Jones, is one of the authors. I happened to stumble across her food blog (she has the best banana bread recipe) and we very quickly reconnected... so happy to know she still remembered who I was. I started trying out her recipes because they looked like real food, that real families with real kids and real husbands would eat. Eek! I was so excited to find it at Costco for only $16! Isn't it pretty? Seriously, you should all run out and buy yourself a copy. I spent a good five hours on Saturday reading through the recipes, looking at all the pictures (yes, there are pictures for every single recipe... my favorite kind of cookbook), writing out a weekly dinner menu, and figuring out what to put on the grocery list. I've even stuck to the meal plan for two whole days. Beef stroganoff on Sunday (my "comfort" food as the Food Nanny says) and White Chicken Chili tonight. And I baked my first ever carrot cake. From scratch. Grating two cups of carrots myself! All because Jeff loves carrot cake and I wanted to show him some love for all his help cleaning this weekend. Apparently, men DO see dust and sticky floors after all!

I'm feeling pretty good about myself.

Oh, and for the record, I dusted that shelf along with my bedroom, Cole's bedroom, the living room, and the dining room. And I finished all but one load of laundry, vacuumed at least three times, and watched Jeff scrub the kitchen floor spotless. It was a good weekend.

Those cobwebs, yeah, they're still there. Maybe next week.

8 comments:

Alicia Steere said...

Oh my goodness, we are the same person!!! I feel the EXACT, word for word, way that you just wrote! My kids watch way too much TV, I am lazy, I too have not seen a gym in years...and the food, yeah, dinners are few and far between other than the "breakfast for dinner again" LOL

I might have to try this book out!!! :)

Stephanie and Jason said...

Wow it sounds like I need to go out and buy that cook book. I would love it if I wanted to make dinner each night, instead of doing it out of necessity.

Leslie said...

You sound way too much like me!! I guess that comes with being a working mom--but sometimes I wonder if I would be the exact same way if I didn't work. I have been eyeing this cookbook for a while--but wondered if it would just end up with all my other books that I have the best intentions to use--but never do. I guess I will have to try it out! I love reading all of your posts--Thanks for being so real in them--I have a hard time with this--and usually just post the "happy" things.

Sandy said...

Nice work. Dusting. I didn't really grow up doing it so it is hard for me to do it consistently and when I finally get around to it I think "Wow! I hope people don't think I am a slob."

The meal planning thing is so good in theory and works so well when I do it but I usually forget to do it period. I'll have to check out that cookbook.

I used this site to print my book-http://blog2print.sharedbook.com I did soft cover, color pages. I had about 80 pages I think and it cost me about $40.

Shawn and Ali said...

I fell you! I only have one little one (am home all day) and and dinner...never know what to make. I may have to check out that cookbook.

ZlaChica said...

Sometimes it feels like I think about food all the time. "we just finished breakfast what should I make for lunch, we just finished lunch what should I make for dinner..." actually breakfast is the only meal I don't think about because its cereal. Thanks for the cookbook recommendation.

Alabama Apples said...

I don't have working outside the home as an excuse, I only have 2 little ones as home during the majority of the day and I still am just like you! :) Oh well, I'm workin' on it. I hate menu planning, but life is easier when I do. Ugggh to figuring out what to make!! I LOVE the Best Bites blog! I stumbled on it a few weeks ago. Fabulous, yummy food-I'm even impressed I can make it turn out tasty!

PS- kuddos to Jeff-my husband NEVER notices dirty-ness in the house (at least he professes) and if mentioned to him, he tells me to just relax. I think he figures the house cleaning fairy will just take care of it... ;)

Unknown said...

I totally love that you posted those pictures, you would die if you knew how bad my house has been before. :)