Saturday, September 18, 2010

New toys

Cole seemed bored this afternoon. To keep him entertained for a few minutes I pulled out all of Pearl's old baby toys. He'd been grabbing at the rings on his car seat for couple of weeks so I knew he could probably hold on to them for a few seconds before knocking himself in the face.

Well, my idea worked wonders. Cole was really excited to play with something new. And so was Pearl. Almost more than Cole. Why is that? Pearl is three and had more fun playing with toys meant for babies than any of the toys strewn all over her room. I don't remember her being that interested in playing with all this stuff... other than the balls and spinning toys. She was amazing at spinning toys when she was just months old. But Cole is much more interested in actually grabbing at things and playing with them. Every rattle, ball, and pull-string-animal-thingy I shook in front of Cole drew a big smile on his face. His chubby hands reached out for everything he saw, followed by those same chubby hands trying to shove the toys in his mouth. I sort of wish that kid would just figure out how to suck his thumb, like his sister did, rather than throw things around in frustration that they don't fit in his mouth.
Pearl was really excited to show Cole how to properly play with the toys. It gave me a glimpse of the peaceful sharing to come... a parent can dream right? Don't you just love this last picture? I'm so glad we had a good 45 minutes of fun before the screaming began. That, and the fact I can put all of Cole's toys in a single basket. Ah... if only Pearl's room was this easy to clean up!

2 comments:

Kimberly Nan said...

That last picture is fabulous! You sure have cute kids!

Jeff Johnson said...

Nice!