Thursday, April 29, 2010

Peach roses

One of the sweetest ladies I have ever known passed away recently. I worked with Alice at ZCMI/Meyer & Frank/Dillards. She was like my ZCMI grandma... teaching me everything one needs to know about a proper fitting bra (imagine this cute old lady working in the lingerie department), why ladies always wear a slip, and even more so about being happy in life. Alice told everyone that "You're my kid! I'm proud of you!" and she really meant it. She was never married and one year I remember asking her if she ever felt bad that she wasn't a mom. It happened to be Mother's Day weekend. Of course she smiled and joked about it but I knew right then and there I was going to send her flowers for Mother's Day. After I got off work, I went and found the most beautiful peach roses a starving college student could afford, drove back to ZCMI and ran over to the lingerie department. Alice cried and cried and was so happy! She was surprised too! It's one of those moments in life when you realize something so simple as a bunch of flowers means a whole lot more to a cherished friend than you could have imagined. When I had Pearl, I invited her to my baby shower. She couldn't come because of her health but sent a beautiful letter and some money that I know was a huge sacrifice to give me.

Anyway, I just wanted to share how special Alice is to me. I hope everyone gets the chance to meet someone as kind, sweet, and wonderful as her.

Alice Elaine Edwards (1939 - 2010)

Alice Elaine Edwards, 70, died April 24, 2010, in her home in Logan, Utah, of natural causes.
Alice was born Nov. 14, 1939, in Logan, Utah, to Leland S. "Lee" Edwards and Verona E. "Bonnie" Erickson Edwards.

Alice was raised and schooled in Logan, graduating in 1958 from Logan High and then attending USU. She also served a mission in the north-central states from 1965-67.

Following her mission she began a career in retail sales, working in Washington, D.C., and later working for more than 30 years for ZCMI, first in downtown Salt Lake City and later in the Logan store. After ZCMI was sold, she continued working for Meyer and Frank for three years and later Dillards. She was a valued employee and received many awards through the years as "Employee of the Month" for the consistent, professional and loyal customer service she provided. Customers would seek her out for her expertise, especially in art needlework.

When her health permitted, Alice loved to travel. Despite having cerebral palsy, she had hiked to Timpanogos Cave, Delicate Arch and Old Juniper. She also walked to the top of the Washington Monument!
She was skilled at handwork, enjoyed reading and was an avid Jazz fan. She was also famous for her chocolate-chip cookies, which became an expected staple at any family gathering.

1 comment:

The Conrad Family said...

I totally remember those peach roses. I had forgotten it was you who gave them to her. She talked about that for weeks after. It made her so happy! She really was a special lady! Loved her!