Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The results are in

Sorry to leave you all hanging... well those of you who haven't called or emailed or caught me in person before now. But I suppose the rest of you would like to know if we're having a boy or a girl, right? As I contemplated how to break the news to everyone I had many thoughts for this post but then I just didn't get around to blogging and now I've forgotten all of my cute ideas. So here goes....

It's a BOY!

Yes, you read right. The idea of having a little rough and tumble, peeing outside boy is slowing sinking in. I'll admit, I wanted an Amelia but you'd have to be one tough guy to pull a name off like that! Jeff said he wanted a girl but I think once he got over the initial shock that he'd be buying an entire new wardrobe and repainting the nursery a more manly color, he was super excited! The buying spree has already begun too (Jeff's doing entirely). Isn't this the absolute most adorable outfit you've ever seen in your entire life! Jeff keeps telling Pearl that any clothes she gets will now be gender neutral so "the boy" (Jeff's first choice for his name, seriously... The Boy) can wear them.
Everything on the ultrasound looked good... no missing body parts (and an extra one at that!). It's always nerve-racking for me to have that first ultrasound when you're silently praying the whole time they find everything. And the best part was (well besides only finding one kid in there), he measured bigger than they thought so I got to move my due date up to May 15. I think ultrasounds must have improved since Pearl was born or at least we had a newer computer because this time around we could actually tell what the blob inside of me was. Pearl and my sister were able to be there with us and Pearl wasn't too happy with the idea it was a boy. She kept telling us (and still does every day) that the baby is a girl. She calls the baby "Ricco" - if anyone is a fan of the Madagascar penguins then you'll know there is a Skipper (which Pearl calls Jeff), Kawalski (aka Me), the Private (aka Pearl), and Ricoo (aka the baby). I'm sure we'll get a few looks with this one but it is pretty funny to hear her call the baby Ricco. I guess today at school she was telling her teachers that I was at home but Ricoo came to work. Hopefully we can come up with a better name by the time he gets here.

So there you go, a boy. I haven't puked in a few days so maybe it's finally over (ha!). This kid isn't nearly as wiggly as Pearl was and every day I panic at least twice because I can't feel him moving around like I remember with Pearl (and yes, she was that wiggly from about 16 weeks on). Maybe this means there will be less drama than with a girl. Comparing pregnancies, I've been sick longer with "the boy" than I was with Pearl but with Pearl the sickness got totally out of control really fast (resulting in almost 15 lbs weight loss). I'm exhausted by about 7 pm every night and have to be in bed by 10:30 or the next day is miserable - so much for that "honeymoon" phase of the 2nd trimester with bursting energy. I've only gained 10 lbs so far and crossing my fingers it stays on track to NOT gain 50 lbs. like I did with Pearl. If I can muster up enough self-esteem to have Jeff take a belly picture I'll post that before I really do look like a beached whale.

Last, anyone with boys... advice??? We're venturing into an all new territory with this one!

10 comments:

Kami said...

Having three boys myself, all I can advise you is: GOOD LUCK! Muwahahahahahaha!!!! :) Better get some good bathroom cleaner. I would say tile cleaner, but you'll need it on the walls, sink, counter, tub, etc because somehow that pee gets EVERYWHERE. hee hee! BUT, there is something special about boys and their mamas. I'm so excited for you!

partingsorrow said...

Boys are much easier, less drama but more apathetic ha ha! I am excited for you! Congratulations! (I cant believe you didn't tell me today!)

Jeff Johnson said...

boy schmoy

BH said...

Coming from much experience, boys are the best! I'm so glad you finally posted. I was about to call you.

Alicia Steere said...

We have one of each, girl, then boy and we have noticed that he is SO much more laid back than Shelby is/was. Seriously! He is so much fun! We have been really lucky though, I have never seen my son pee! He is 16 months old and had NEVER peed on us like the horror stories you hear. He is amazing! :) You will quickly learn that no matter what body parts your kid has you will love them the same!!! I wasn't sure how I was going to wrap my mind around having a boy after having a girl first and seriously, it was instant!

Shelly Traveller said...

Congrats on the little boy! Kami's suggestion of the bathroom cleaner couldn't be more on target! And if he's anything like my boys, you can but Peal girl clothes because my boys only wear their underwear!

Alabama Apples said...

Ahhhhh!!! I am so excited for you!!!! I love my boys, although they are NOT so very laid-back. :) What fun and excitement in store. Enjoy the shopping sprees ahead. I am so in love with Sunday clothes for little guys-their ties are the best accessories. I'm glad you are feeling a bit better...I'm still dragging, haven't felt the energy of the 2nd tri at all, bleh!

Oh, seriously, I'm so excited!!!!!

Sandy said...

Jenny I am so excited for you. Your an inspiration for getting pregnant again and so soon knowing how bad your pregnancy sickness is.

Kamie said...

Congrats you two! I'm excited to hear you will be having one of each.

Haylee Munk Brown said...

We will have to learn about boys together :)