Thursday, August 27, 2009

Should we?

I thought about enrolling Pearl into a Montessori school down the street from us about six months ago but obviously didn't if I'm writing this tonight. Why do decisions have to be so hard, especially ones that probably are both good options? I'm sure it's a lot of the terrible two's kicking in, but lately it seems Pearl is really struggling at home (hope it's not a sign of her parenting influence). She is pretty defiant at times and doesn't seem very interested in doing any activity that would promote learning. Plus let's face it, I really have no clue what I'm doing nor am I trained in any sort of early childhood development to know what activities to even do with her to help her reach her full potential.

On Monday Jeff suggested we look at the Montessori school again and seemed to feel pretty strongly about getting her into one. So we went on a tour today and I'm planning on going back tomorrow to meet the teachers and see how things really work during school hours. They actually have a spot open right now, which is sometimes hard to come by. The facility was nice, clean, organized, and I've heard really good things about their program. It would be nice to have Pearl in more of a structured play and learn environment instead of what seems like chaos at times now. The class size is much smaller so the kids get more one-on-one attention from their teachers...who are in fact certified teachers. And the price is right...only $50 more than what we pay now. At times it seems like a no-brainer but then I start to really wonder if we shouldn't wait until next fall to get her in a school, more like a pre-pre-preschool scenario I guess!

The problem is I'm not sure if it's the right thing for Pearl or not. She is after all only two and I wonder if we'd be pushing her too hard if we enrolled her in a private school. I really like her current teachers at daycare, which is especially nice because one of them is my sister whom Pearl absolutely adores, but wonder how long they will stay. Seems like they get some high turnover with teachers and that makes it super hard on not just the kids but the parents too. Pearl is usually pretty excited to go to school in the morning to see her friends, well not this week it seems but then again, she's thrown fits every morning over something. Which, oddly, are the older girls in class - the four year olds! - who just cottle and oogle all over her. I think it would be really hard for Pearl to not see Aunt Kimberly every day...I mean every day, every single day, she asks where her car is when we get to work even though she knows Kimmy doesn't come to school until after lunch. Would I traumatize her if she had to make new friends? And I wouldn't have the comfort of knowing she's just downstairs in case anything happened and that I can go and see her whenever I want. She's gone to work with me for two years and it's been so nice knowing she is only a staircase away.

Then there's the whole debate about if we have another kid... what do we do then? Not only do we have to think about the whole money issue of being able to afford daycare or not afford to work, but also thinking about whether I would want my kids together somewhere, how we'd work out schedules, do I work 20 hours a week or more hours depending on childcare situations, could I find someone to watch an infant if Pearl was in school somewhere, do I stay home and drive myself, kids, and husband nuts, etc, etc. That's the real wrench in this scenario. What's a mom to do? You just can't seem to win nowadays with any decisions you make.

Any advice?

11 comments:

Heather Brace said...

YES YES YES! Go for it - you will notice a difference right away! The time will be good for her and you guys. Two is such a fun but hard age - especially when it is your first. Just remember, her behavior is very normal and she is learning to express independence.

The Conrad Family said...

Fast and pray!! That has always worked for us! You will do the right thing! Good luck! I am sure Pearl will do great whatever you decide to do!

Alabama Apples said...

Decisions regarding our children are so hard. This age is very difficult, too. The sweetest children turn into brats, believe me, it is true. They're just trying things out.

I've heard only fabulous things about Montessori schools. We had a couple of friends that enrolled their children in them. They teach by playing, etc. and their children did so well. If you can afford it, well, it seems like a great idea. Don't worry about disrupting her life. It will affect her, but just until she gets settled. With moving a lot, my children are getting that down. :)

Also, don't stress about it if you're thinking of #2. It takes a little to get preggo (yes, even for me this time) and then you will have 40 weeks to figure out what is right for your family. I agree with your friend who said fast and pray. The Lord will help direct you, even through choices that seem great either way. Good luck!

Parker Family said...

Tough decisions. If it was my choice I would keep Pearl with her aunt. Family is so much better than the extra learning. Besides she still has a few years before she goes to school so I would not worry about that yet. But if you feel right about the private school than that is great also. I am not going to worry about "school" until about a year before they go. I would guess it would be easy to find someone to watch your baby. I know I would if I lived close. It is also wonderful to be home with the kids, it always seems to work out. Really anything you decide will work out if not you change it again.

Kami said...

Just remember P is only two. I personally would prefer to keep her with a second mom rather than a better learning environment. Her emotional stability and health is way more important than education at this point. There is a reason kids don't start school until they are five. Before that, a loving environment is WAY more important for their growth that a learning environment (although it is nice to incorporate both, of course!).

And believe me, as someone who never even went to preschool, she'll do JUST FINE in the education department if she isn't doing calculus by age four! :) Every study I've ever read says that most kids are caught up by the end of K or start of 1st grade whether or not they went to preschool.

And if you can ever swing it to stay home, you WON"T be bored/nuts! :) Hang in there, and just pray for the right answer for you guys!

Haylee Munk Brown said...

I know I don't have kids of my own (yet). But I am around A LOT of kids all of the time of every age, and here the Montessori schools are very popular. From what I have seen of the development of my preschool gymnastics kids the kids that are in the Montessori schools are a) a little bit ahead of the other kids developmentally and b) seem to be very balanced and don't seem to have the appearance of being pushed to much. Hope that helps. Obviously, I don't have kids so I don't know how hard it is to actually make that decision, but from what I have seen here, if I had the chance when my child gets older I would definitely do it. Hope that helps a little!! Sounds like a hard decision!!!

Shelly Traveller said...

I have heard they are great as well! My cousins kids in St. Louis went to one when they were little and loved it!
either way I think it's a win/win situation. What ever you choose will be good for her!

Anonymous said...

I too, have heard wonderful things about Montessori schools. I am sure thet they take sweet Pearl's age into account. One of the things that struck me was the high turnover rate the daycare has. That seems to be disrupting to children and a postive thing about the school is there wouldn't be near the turnover. Also, she would be having age appropriate play in the school with teachers that are certified. To me, the school seems like a fantastic option...but follow your gut. Decisions can be so hard--but I am sure you'll do what is best!! :)

creatividadsiempre.blogspot.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
creatividadsiempre.blogspot.com said...

I totally agree with Kami. I mean, Pearl is only 2, and who could pass up knowing that she is downstairs from where you work? I am a firm believer that education has much more to do with the parents than the actual learning environment. Best of luck figuring it out . . . tell me when you do. :)

Mindy Williams said...

Jenny, I would keep P where she is. Seriously. You know the place, you know her caretaker and so does she. Most likely she is just testing you right now. That is their job. To continually test limits. I think she is too young for school. The best thing you can do is just read with her for learning. Also, a friend suggested a Leap and Learn Alphabet Video to help with sounds. Really the truth is, she is little, she isn't with you and she is testing you. Plus, more $ per month just makes it harder to get to staying home with another one, etc. etc. Don't let baby #2 factor into it yet--unless you are announcing something--and even then you have lots of time to figure it out. I have heard some really like Montessori schools and some not. They key with schools is knowing the teachers and having access to them easily so you can tackle issues together. You have those where you are and may not have those at a new place. I'm just sayin...whatever you do will be fine. But that's my input.