Monday, July 20, 2009

To go or not to go, that is the question

Let's face it, I'm old. Not to mention about 30 lbs heavier than when I graduated high school and way more forgetful! Now the reality of the last 10 years (while glorious) has come crashing down on me. It's time for my 10 year reunion. My high school doesn't have five year reunions so this is the first time my graduating class would be together again. Part of me wants to go and hear what everyone has done in their lives since we graduated, plus you know you want to see who's really hot now that we are in the real world, but another part of me says to stay away! I'd say I was a pretty outgoing girl in high school, with tons of friends, but never really tied to one group. I played sports but didn't just hang out with the jocks or popular kids. I had friends in the band, the "nerdy" valedictorian group (yes I was one of those), stoners, and just the normal kids. Which was great then and now because I really haven't ever worried about whether I was mean to anyone. But now I'm beginning to think that's not going to work in my favor if I decide to go the big 10 year reunion. My biggest fear is sitting all alone at the dinner or worse sitting with my brother (who just happened to marry a girl my age... just kidding Jesse)! And I'm terrified that I will feel like a fat, ugly blob who won't recognize someone or remember their name (remember I had a baby and lost all brain cells in the process). What should I do? If I go, I'd have to miss a weekend of fun at Bear Lake Raspberry Days with my family. But if I don't go, will I miss out on re-connecting with some friends I haven't seen in years? I guess I've thought a lot more about this than just whether my schedule is open because of my other blog post about "my girls".

Should I go? What did you do?

13 comments:

Najma said...

I feel the same way Jenny! It's my birthday that day and we wanted to go to Raspberry days too, so I think that I'll probably skip it this year. If anything, maybe I'll go to the family part and skip the expensive dinner. :)

Parker Family said...

Well at least you are hot and everyone will be talking about how good you look even after having a kid. On the other hand I will not be there for you to sit by. I bet you will have to wear name tags so at least you can remember peoples names that way. Hard choice let us know what you decide.

carli said...

I'm with ya!!! I still haven't bought tickets we were planning on it but then work has gotten a little crazy. Summer's are so hard!! Let me know what you decide!!

Shawn and Ali said...

I just got an invite to my 5 year reunion and decided that it wasn't worth going. Not that I have ever been to one but they seem like they are going to be really awkward. And you have already found everyone on facebook right??? But that is just me and maybe I should be more social...

Brooke said...

You should go. If we are here we are going to go. Plus you shouldn't worry about what you look like cause you really do look great and most people have probably already seen pics of you from facebook and your blog!! It will just be fun to see everyone in person instead of just the internet!! GO!!GO!!!

Charee B Mcclellan said...

this wasn't a question at all in my head for the last 10 years..then all of a sudden the other day..i wasn't sure that i wanted to go in debt to eat one meal and see old class mates. (40 bucks is a lot!!!) but then i spoke with some people and figures..what if i am the only one sitting in the corner..ohh and i have my bro in law that graduated with us also. then i came to the conclusion. we only have 1 ten year reunion in our lives...why not support it?? marcie has worked her butt off, i would hate to disappoint! i figure, it is a buffet..if it is dumb..just eat our hearts out..otherwise it should be great! i know that a lot of people are not going to be able to attend..but for the ones that do, and maybe i don't know them well..i guess i should start getting to know them now..cuz hopefully we will have a 20 year! hope to see you there.

Alabama Apples said...

Quite the question. It would be a major question on my mind if I lived even in the vicinity of Utah. I would love to reconnect with a few, but wouldn't love to show off the chubby, 3-baby body and would be scared of being alone, too.

But-if I could have gone-you would be one I'd be dying to see. I'm sure many people feel that way, so if you could find the time, go! :)

The Conrad Family said...

Whatever you decide is great but make sure you remember that you are one hot mama! Don't let that be the reason you stay away!

Haylee Munk Brown said...

You should go Jenny! From what I can tell you look great in your photos! I have gained more weight than you and I haven't had ANY babies yet! :) If I didn't have to work a gymnastics camp in Colorado that starts that day I would totally be there, and would have loved to see you! Tell everyone hi from me ;)

Shelly Traveller said...

Totally come! Even if there is a few of us we can still make it fun! I know a bunch of girl like (Katie and Lacey and Tara and Julie) are going together without their husbands so you could jump in with them. I don't think that you would feel alone at all! Do come!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I saw you on the news tonight!! You looked great and did a fabulous job!!

Mindy Williams said...

You should go because it will be hilarious. It is always hard to talk yourself into it--I went to mine and walked out laughing my head off, grateful to see friends, extra grateful to not have seen some people for a few years, and most of all grateful for my husband and our life together and how much more normal we are than we think we are. So, I think you should go. You can always head to Bear Lake before or after the event too and do it all baby!

Laree said...

You know, I'm bugged about the price for the dinner. I'm freakn' glad we're doing something, but the stuff at the park sound more fun to me.

But I totally got guilted into buying a ticket. Since I was the one that finally got the ball rolling and everthing!

So save me a seat. I'll be there.