Friday, April 24, 2009

Thou shalt not covet

I shouldn't admit this but figure as long as I'm upfront about it then it's ok right? Today I coveted, a lot. I had to drive out to Daybreak for work (we had a safety open house for Safe Kids Week) and it was the first time I had been out there, even after hearing about how nice the homes were. Let's just say they didn't disappoint! The model home we had our event at was huge! I loved the styles of the homes, heritage looking but with all the fancy features of a new home. I'm not kidding, but our entire house could have fit on the main level alone, actually it would have had a ton of room to spare. Pearl kept running around amazed to find bathroom after bathroom, not to mention stairs to a basement and second floor. She opened every single door and pulled open all the drawers, as if in amazement that this house had so many rooms in it. Then on the way home I decided to stop and check out Tai Pan Trading for the first time. I have secretly wanted to go there forever but with a husband who thinks its a junk store, didn't have the guts to do it. Wow!!! I will definitely be back but man, after seeing these gorgeous new homes and finding the store that must have been the one to decorate them, I was on the verge of breaking one of the 10 commandments.

Then, tonight I really broke the commandment "Thou shalt not covet" when Jeff drove me to a new development nearby that he's been wanting to build a house in. We looked it up online and man, now I want a new heritage home!!! They are just what we want, at least the outside look anyway, in a location we love, and on a quiet street.
I have no idea how much they cost but oh the fun of coveting, er I mean dreaming. We've bantered with the idea of selling our house and buying something bigger and newer (we love old homes but the repairs are costly and it would be nice to have some "modern" conveniences and extra floor space) for quite some time now but with the economy tanking it's probably not realistic. We don't want a mansion or ginormous house and we do know our limits when it comes to $$$ but can't one dream? We bought our house at a perfect time and wouldn't be underwater if we did sell it (if we could in this housing market), but our lovely foundation repair a couple years ago really messed things up. We love our house and our neighbors are great, but someday we'll probably outgrow this place (NO, we are NOT making any announcements!!!!). We would love to have some more room for Pearl to run around and in the event we did have another baby, a place to actually put the little thing. Oh and a second bathroom would be great, not to mention a closet that can actually hold your clothes (and we don't have that many, trust me, just ask Jeff who still has shirts from pre-mission and high school days). It does make me sad thinking we might leave the house we fell in love with, brought our first baby home to, and worked hard to fix up the yard but I couldn't help myself today wanting something I probably don't need and shouldn't have when so many others I know are struggling with much bigger problems than wishing they had more space. Guess I better start repenting.

5 comments:

Parker Family said...

I still want a new bigger house and we still have an extra bedroom. I can dream right?

creatividadsiempre.blogspot.com said...

Jenny -- I covet all the time. I think the trick is keeping that coveting in check. And it's funny you mentioned the Heritage housing development. B/c we too have looked it up on line. Dream Big!

Taneill said...

I am right there with you in wanting a nice big house- I just have never had the guts to admit it out loud- so way to go! :)

Taneill

Mindy Williams said...

I agree with Libs..as long as you keep it in check, it can't hurt to covet a bit. Especially if that helps motivate you to do stuff in a good way, right? Not the crazy obsessing way. You know what I mean. Fun to look around though isn't it? i LOVE to tour homes. Fun stuff. And Tai Pan--I go there EVERY time I come to town. they are fun and reasonably priced.

carli said...

Hey you should look in Day Break (i bet there are some short sells)for a house we live just south a bit from there we could be really close!! But I bet you would have to travel much further to work?