Wednesday, April 1, 2009

It's my blog and I'll cry if I want to

Someone told me a few days ago that my blog was stupid and that people don't think it's cool to blog. It really hurt my feelings because I care about what this person thinks and because I thought they enjoyed reading my posts. While yes, I love to read your comments and the more comments I get the more I want to blog, I actually blog for me. It's a good way for me to get my feelings out, write down life's little moments that I don't want to forget, and I'd hope someday serve as a journal/family history of sorts for my posterity. So I've been out of the blogging mood lately, and quite honestly feeling down. The last day or two have been better though and so I thought I better put something on here so those few people who do think it's cool don't think I've dropped off the planet.

Tonight for dinner I tried a new recipe - Chicken Taquitos. Yes, I'm back to my "it's time to try and be a good wife by planning out a menu and actually cooking for my family" mode. I thought they were pretty good and Pearl gobbled them up (but then again the last few weeks she's eaten anything that's put in front of her) so I thought I'd share.
Chicken Taquitos
6 flour tortillas
2 cups shredded chicken
1 package taco seasoning
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
4 oz. can green chilies, chopped
1 cup tomatoes, chopped
guacamole
sour cream
salsa

Combine chicken, taco seasoning, water, onions, and chilies in saucepan. Cook until heated through. Stir in tomatoes. Place chicken mixture down center of each tortilla. Roll up tightly. Secure with toothpicks. Pour 1/2 inch of oil in large skillet and heat until a drop of water sizzles. Place rolled tortillas in hot oil and fry until golden brown. Turn and brown other side. Drain well on paper towels. Serve with guacamole, sour cream, and salsa.

***I didn't want to fry these things, one because I hate grease splattering everywhere and the smell of it and two because I wanted them to be somewhat healthy. So I baked them in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until crispy. Then I put them on top of some black beans. They were more like a baked burrito I guess, but still tasted good. Enjoy!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your blog, and love reading your posts, and I agree that it's great therapy!!!

Haylee Munk Brown said...

I disagree with whoever told you that!!! I love reading your blog and get sad when you don't have a new post for me to read!!! Keep writing!!!

Mindy Williams said...

Blogging is SUPER cool, so there! Keep it up, we love to feel like we know what is happening in your life. And I love to watch Pearl grow up. She would be my pseudo-child if only we hadnt had to move away and grow up and get new jobs! We miss you and LOVE your blog!

Sandy said...

The picture of your burritos look delicious. I will have to give them a try. Last week I decided that I should be a good wife too and plan a menu for a week and stick to it. I am still trying to find the time to make Mike a lunch.

I think it is nice to get comments on my blog but I really blog for myself too. It is a nice way to journal what is going on in my life. Maybe that person that made that comment is a little jealous they don't have anything to blog about. ;)

Kristy said...

I love your blog, and can't wait to try your new recipe.

Shawn and Ali said...

I like reading your blog and that looks really good. Maybe I should try to be a good wife some time and make dinner...

Heather said...

I love your blog! One of these days I might even start a blog of my own.

Taneill said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will try it! And I think blogging is cool. I do it mostly for journaling too but it is still fun to see what others are up to.

Taneill

Jeff Johnson said...

I love how you take EVERYTHING I say and turn it around in your blog - that was my complaint! You have this life of what I want to see/hear is the truth and I can control that in a world of chaos.

My other point is not everyone thinks blogging is cool and a "need".

Thanks agian for listening to what you want - then posting it for the world.

Parker Family said...

That recipe looks so yummy it is on my shopping list. I know some people think my blog is dumb but I don't do it for them just for me. If they don't like it they don't have to read it. It is always the husbands who are mean and hurt your feelings. They will understand better when they are older and more mature.

carli said...

I too blog for journal reasons and mainly just post for me. I am in the process of getting last years printed. And just so you know i check your blog regulary.

Alabama Apples said...

Okay, love your dinner! I'm going to steal this recipe 'cause it is something I know my boys will eat...yummo! I'm working with the menu thing, too...uggh....I don't love it, but I guess it does help me not to be stressed and angry around 5:30 when my beasties are hungry, it has been the end of a long day and I don't feel like figuring out what the heck to cook!

Also, I know my blogs are often lame, but I blog to remember. I am a loser at writing a journal-I think the last time was as a high school sophmore-but it seems easier to log my life when I think someone else might be interested, too. Jen, I LOVE reading your blog. I feel connected to you in a way I haven't since early college. I love your posts because they are YOU and I miss you and I love to see how your life is going.

Endless Days and Northern Nights said...

Whatever...blogging is awesome! I think you're awesome and I totally want to try this recipe! Hey...your pictures are amazing of Pearl with the noodles. So cute! What kind of camera do you have? I hope you're doing well!

BH said...

I think your blog is great. I love knowing what you are up to. I turned my blog from last year into the books I give my family for Christmas. Blogs are an awesome way to keep a family history!

Jenny Baker said...

Jenny I love to read your blog it is so nice to see what other people have been up to since high school. Your recipe looks super yummy by the way. I can't get enough of Mexican food right now.