Friday, February 6, 2009

I'm a virgin

This is not some racy, inappropriate post despite the title, I just wanted to catch every one's attention so you'll read my blog! But it's true I am a virgin...at baking sugar cookies. Jeff has been hinting ever so sweetly that it would be really nice to have some sugar cookies around. And with the XOX cookie cutter from the New Year's Elf, it was high time to break out the Kitchen Aid and make a huge mess! Pearl was right in the middle of the action the entire time, from prep work to taste testing and cookie cutting. I had so much fun letting Pearl help and it was well worth the hour of dishes and wiping off the counters, table, and floor in a futile attempt to clean up the spilled flour and sprinkles. Since we don't have much counter space in the kitchen we rolled the dough out smack dab on the middle of the dining room table. Pearl climbed right up to help and I gave her two little cookie cutters that I got in Nauvoo (a little boy and girl gingerbread people). She figured out that if she pounded them enough that eventually she could get some of the dough to stick to them and then eat it. Of course she didn't really get the difference between the dough and flour and I had to laugh at some of the faces she pulled when she licked the flour off the table. Pearl was a great help until we all realized bedtime had come and gone. After a bath, story, and bottle break I was back at the cookies frosting away while Pearl and Jeff both snoozed. Let's hope there is some redemption with these cookies to make up for my last few dinner attempts because there are a ton of hot pink sugar cookies to be eaten!I gave Pearl her own set of baking essentials to use as we made the dough (thanks to Hayley's blog). She carried them from room to room and made quite the racket. Pearl was pretty excited to get the dough rollin'. I think she must have thought it was a giant batch of edible play-doh. Let's hope she doesn't try to eat the real play-doh now! Don't you just love the little speck of flour on her upper lip? Too bad you can't see the flour handprints all over her stomach and legs.Ta-da! Well, what do you think for a first timer?

8 comments:

Hayley said...

I hope you liked the recipe! These are a small addiction around here....I have to make them rarely or I eat them too much!

Parker Family said...

They are beautiful.

Shelly Traveller said...

Yum I want one

Tianne said...

They look fabulous! Good work :0)

Jeff Johnson said...

You say you are a Virgin - but you make sugar cookies like some kind of secret professional.... What have you been doing at night after I go to bed?

Haylee Munk Brown said...

ha ha ha! Like Jeff's comment here! Funny! Those cookies sure look great! And how excited does Pearl look!! I love it!!

Charee B Mcclellan said...

you did catch my attention...i sure was thinking for a minute....you do have a child!!! hee hee ANYWAYS yes those cookies look so yummy!

Mindy Williams said...

They look so yummy. They are definitely time intensive, which is why I have a theory that all guys love to have their wives make them....they take forever, they are a mess to clean up, and they snooze while we do it. Plus, we are good Moms that involve the kids, so the husbands get out of a good 2-3 hours of hanging with the family....how do I manage to get roped into this too? Ha Ha

You did an amazing job for sure!