Sunday, October 26, 2008

Reliving a Halloween nightmare

Let's make one thing clear, Jeff hates Halloween. Seriously, he hates it. Aside from the candy, Halloween is nothing but a reminder of a horrible childhood memory - the year he was a star. And not just any star, a cardboard star covered in tin foil. He was old enough to know that a star was not a cool costume to wear but set aside potential teasing for the chance of a pillowcase full of candy. And so the night began, knocking on doors and filling up on loads of sugary treats. For anyone familiar with the "island" in Logan and nearby Wilson Elementary School, you'll know that the school is surround by some pretty big trees. As Jeff and his older brother (who absolutely loved tormenting him) were walking past the school, his brother ripped the star right off him and flung it high into the trees. It scarred him for life...he hates Halloween.

So what do we do to our beautiful and innocent daughter? We dress her up as a star. And a really crooked one at that (not on purpose, I'm just a horrible at drawing stars), complete with tinfoil and everything. I had these fabulous intentions of making a ladybug costume, which after cutting out stars and covering them in tinfoil realized it would have been easier, but after Jeff giving me a hard time about not having it finished yet gave up. And so the Halloween nightmare has been passed on to the next generation. Luckily for Pearl, we all joined in the trauma and went to the annual Kohler/Jewkes Halloween Party as "Super Stars" - pronounced "supa stars" for added effect and coolness. Next year, we're thinking of being "rock" stars.Some of you may remember a few posts back that I was complaining about having no family traditions. I should have clarified - I have family traditions with my extended families but nothing that is just Jeff, me and Pearl. OK with that cleared up we can move on to the Halloween Party fun. My Aunt Denise throws one spooktacular party and I must say every year I am just as excited to see how she's decorated her house as I am to carve pumpkins and eat the traditional meal of clam chowder and other ghoulish treats. This year's decorations followed a mad scientist theme, evident from her costume choice. Jeff and I have typically been party poopers because we've never dressed up (everyone else does) so this year my aunt was thrilled to open the doors and see a "Supa Star" family! Yes, I somehow convinced Jeff that dressing up with Pearl would keep Pearl from suffering the same childhood fate. The stars didn't reuin Halloween for Pearl but my little cousins' freaky vampire, mummy, and grim reaper costumes. She was absolutely terrified of them and cried every time they got near. It took her a good hour at least to warm up to the idea that we were staying with these freaks. Even Carver the dragon scared her. There was Frodo Baggins and an elf princess, a mummy's Mommy, and the "Invisible Man" (aka Uncle Dan who was working in New Orleans). Even "bad" Santa Claus stopped by on his way to Bermuda.After a yummy dinner we broke out the carving tools and began the task of carving dozens of pumpkins. Jeff and Pearl grew ours this year and we had a gigantic one. It would have been even bigger had the vine not broken off a month or so ago. We tried to get Pearl to sit in it but she was still freaked out with every one's makeup.
Pearl had a great time carving her pumpkin (the triangle covered one). She made me slightly nervous with her excited stabbing. When she got frustrated with me taking away her knife, she decided to eat the pumpkin instead.After a night of yummy and gruesome treats, pumpkin guts and a giant pumpkin head, it was time to bring this party to a close. Hopefully after a few more years of these fun Halloween memories, Jeff will learn to like or at least tolerate the trick or treaters.

11 comments:

Alabama Apples said...

Oh my gosh you guys have a fun extended family! Who needs personal family traditions when you have traditions like that!! Poor Jeff and his traumatized life LOL. We carved pumpkins on Friday-it is my favorite part of Halloween. Love it!

Anonymous said...

HA HA Jeff makes me laugh. He was a great "suppa star", and I loved the pumpkin head dance! Nice job Jenny, making the costumes! I am so glad you joined us for our Halloween fun. Sorry that we traumatized Pearl. I hope she will come back again. Aunt Sugar.

Haylee Munk Brown said...

The looks on Pearls face are priceless! You may have succeeded in fully traumatizing her!

Anonymous said...

Wow you and your family are professtional pumpkin carvers!! They look great!

Shelly Traveller said...

I like the super star idea, and your pumpkin is huge,good times.

BTW I smile every time I see that stink'in cute picture of Pearl on the side.

Unknown said...

The cute little kids that come trick or treating to your door is my favorite part of halloween!! Super cute pumpkins --and I loved pearl's trick or treat shirt!

Jeff Johnson said...

Where to begin??? This post, while funny, is flawed. Yes I do hate Halloween (It's not a real holiday)Yes I did have a REALLY HUGE pumpkin head, it was like an orange on a toothpick. I did loose my original star to a large tree near Wilson School. I did attend the pumpkin carving party.

After that I'm unsure what is true and real about this post. But for quite possibly the second time in our marriage - Jenny was actually funny. So I will let it slide.

Nice post sweetheart!

Charee B Mcclellan said...

love the pumpkins....you guys did a really good job....hey and tell angel to try again on the guest book.....hopefully it will work this time.

Emilee said...

good for you guys! cute idea! and the pumpkins look great! that one is freakin' huge!

Kimberly Nan said...

Sure Jenny, post the carved pumpkin pictures that you took AFTER Nick and I had taken ours away....you just did it because ours looked the best.

Alicia Steere said...

I love it! You all make fabulous stars! :) Pearl is such a cutie too! I just laughed when you were talking about Jeff's experience and how you are all stars again, so funny. You guys are great!