Thursday, August 7, 2014

Pennies from Heaven


I stumbled across this penny getting into my car after a meeting today. And I promise you, it wasn't there when I got out of my car an hour earlier. 

I remembered reading something that said an angel tosses a penny from Heaven to remind you that they miss you. I couldn't help but hope this is true... and then in my searching for the poem behind my thought, saw a beautiful letter on Facebook from Mr. Lary Jones to his beautiful wife, my amazing and dearly missed Patty, who died two years ago today. I cried when I found the poem just moments after thinking of Patty.

I found a penny today
Just lying on the ground.
But it's not just a penny
This little coin I've found.
Found pennies come from heaven
That's what my Grandpa told me.
He said Angels tossed them down
Oh, how I loved that story!
He said when an angel misses you
They toss a penny down,
Sometimes just to cheer you up
To make a smile out of your frown.
So don't pass by that penny
When you're feeling blue.
It may be a penny from heaven
That an Angel's tossed to you.

1998 C. Mashburn

No comments: