Friday, July 18, 2014

British Invasion {Bees game}

Jeff's sister, Vickie, and family are finally here! They live in Long Ashton, England and the last time we saw our nieces and nephew {and Uncle Glen... where's Glen?} was eight years ago when they were just little pipsqueaks! I still can't believe they aren't the cute little flower girls at my wedding. The kids and I were probably the most excited to have the "British Invasion" here in the states. It was the first time Pearl and Cole had met Aurelia (18), Alexis (16), and Sam (11) and having new cousins was super exciting. I just loved getting to know my cute, spunky, and very different teenage!!! nieces. And my brother-in-law, Glen, is just the nicest, calmest, easy-going guy around. He was so much fun too!

Because they haven't been to the states for a looong time, they had a huge list of must-see's and must-do's. So Jeff and I pretty much told our employers we were going to be gone a lot and probably on short notice to take the British Invasion sightseeing. We drove to Logan a lot too, having dinner and visiting whenever we could.

Our first official outing was going to a real American baseball game. The first time for Aurelia, Alexis, and Sam. I made the mistake of not saving Jeff a seat by us because I was left to try and explain every rule, stat, and scoreboard lingo to the three of them. At one point the guy in front of us saved my rambling by explaining what each of the player's stats were. And no popcorn, candy, lemonade, or sno-cones for these serious sports fans... unlike my two children who think any sporting event is just an excuse to spend all of their parents' money on overpriced food.






After the game we made the kids {I still think Aurelia missed out on a truly American experience} run the bases on the field. And get a picture with Bumble the Bee. Aurelia and Alexis soon learned that the sooner they obliged my photo requests, the sooner they could be done with me and my camera. Samuel on the other hand still needs some work.








The British Invasion stayed with us after the game.... we desperately need a bigger house. As my sister-in-law reminded me, when she was here a few years ago {just her} I promised the next time I'd have a bigger house so they could stay with us longer. One night was about all we could handle in our tiny house. We had an epic morning tea fail. Oops. Who knew the British were so serious about their tea?

And then we went shopping. My nieces told me they wanted to "go to a store that we don't have in London, Aunt Jenny" {now say this again with a British accent}. We ended up at Target. Then the Gap, Nordstrom, Chicos, Forever 21, and Starbucks. Uncle Glen needed a sanity-saving cup of coffee. Did I mention the British Invasion were also mesmerized by the drive-through Starbucks EVERYWHERE? Seriously. I think the ability to go to a Starbucks on a daily basis was the highlight of their "holiday" to the states. 


Cole on the other hand was not amused with the day-long shopping spree. I'm pretty sure all the men were feeling the exact same way.


Even I reached my shopping limit.

No comments: