I hereby dub Washington D.C. as America's "best dressed city." Seriously. Have you been there? All of the young, ambitious professionals looking to make it big and save the world inspire me. Everywhere you look there are young people in business suits, power ties, skirts, heels, and jackets. It reminds me of when I was young, dumb, and single in college, thinking I could change the world. I honestly believed I could be the President of the United States! Just watching everyone bustling around, energy in their eyes, made me miss dreaming big when I didn't think anything could stand in my way.
Oh it's an amazing city! I love D.C.
Except when I have to pull a 15 hour day to get there. And have zippo time for sightseeing. Yeah. Being at the airport by 4 a.m. {which, for any early morning travelers even the Delta crew isn't there until 4:45 a.m.} because the agency paying for your travel refuses to fly you out the night before to save the cost of one more night in the hotel.... not cool. Not cool.
Did I mention I love staying in D.C.? I love, love, love the Metro system. It's so fascinating that we're able to engineer these giant subway tunnels underground to get people to and from their destinations. And D.C.'s metro system is the best I've ever been on. Plus, unlike New York's subway, there aren't any rodents of unusual size hanging out on the platforms. It's so easy to get around and figure out where you want to go. I've never felt unsafe in D.C. and love walking around George Washington University campus and of course, Washington Square welcoming me.
The reason for my very quick trip to D.C.? I was invited by the Safe States Alliance to meet with members of Utah's congressional delegation to educate them on what my program does to try and prevent injuries and violence. It was my first time doing Hill Visits. And even though I do media interviews all the time for my job, this was nerve-racking! I knew I only had a few minutes to meet with each member {or their staffers} to try and convince them that what I had to say was worth listening to. I just didn't know what to expect.
It was a lot of fun running from one building to the next on Capitol Hill. The old buildings have beautiful architecture. I meet with staffers from Rep. Jason Chaffetz's office, Rep. Chris Stewart, Rep. Ron Bishop, Sen. Mike Lee, and Sen. Orrin Hatch. You know who has more clout in D.C. by their offices.... Sen. Orrin Hatch had the biggest office on the 1st floor right. Plus, he has the most friendly staff and my visit there was absolutely delightful! Rep. Bishop's staffer was also very nice, and from Cache Valley.
I was so messed up with the three-hour time difference and 15 hour travel day the day before, that yeah. Momma wasn't too happy when the alarm went off. But I did have time for a selfie or two waiting for Sen. Hatch's staff! {The humidity worked wonders on my hair that day... curly, curly!}
Here's the only sightseeing I was able to do as I ran back and forth from the House and Senate buildings.
And because of the cold, long winter, the cherry blossoms which normally would have been out, weren't. Guess this magnolia tree will have to do!
It was a fun and professionally rewarding, albeit way too short, trip to a fantastic city.









No comments:
Post a Comment