Monday, March 17, 2014

Organization by force


My organization and spring cleaning skills really suck. 

Oh don't get me wrong. Back in the day I was completely crazy about my cleaning routine. Jeff admits he misses my old Saturday morning routine of mad cleaning the entire house {I do too}. And if I'm honest with myself, as a teen it was even more extreme... lining up everything in my closet according to sleeve length and color. 

Kay-razy as Jeff says!

It was an exhausting lifestyle.

But that was before two kids. And a furry dog. And working full time on top of said kids and dog and everything else coming our way.

I've sort of lost my cleaning edge. Usually only dusting when Jeff starts to write messages on the dressers for me. {I do try to vacuum at least every other day though} And only sorting through cupboards when things start to fall out or I've totally had it with trying to find something I know is somewhere in there.

It's sad. Pathetic. Embarrassing. And extremely guilt laden.

Well, due to a slight honey leak on a top shelf, I had to clean out everything in my spice cupboard. Then scrub down the shelves and figure out how to fit everything back in neatly and usefully. I realized I had a lot of spices and because, like everything else in my life, it wasn't organized so I could find a particular spice when I needed it, I'd doubled up {or for some, tripled} on several spices.

While I did get things put away nicely {according to each spices' purpose} and it did feel good to have at least one cupboard organized, I have decided I need to do one of three things... hire a professional organizer, buy an actual spice rack drawer, or stop cooking.

I'm going with the idea of not cooking ever again. At least then the kitchen would stay clean!

No comments: