Saturday, December 3, 2011

Surveying the damage (better pictures)

I was able to get outside today with better lighting and no kids to take these pictures. I think they're better than the ones I posted before, although I'm still not sure you can get the full scope of the debris and destruction throughout town. Poor Jeff is outside in the freezing cold (and, oh it snowed last night) trying to get the pine tree cut down by himself.

You can see the huge crack where it broke off. The whole ground is covered in pine needles and pine cones. The ground is also cracked along the roots and base of the trunk. Before it broke, the wind had pretty much stripped it of all it's branches and needles on the side it fell. This tree is HUGE!!!!
Our swing got thrown down. Luckily it didn't blow out of our yard.There are piles of leaves and junk all along our back door and fences.What was once the playgrounds.And the little, red wagon that has yet to move.Shingles from our newly roofed garage roof.My poor, little bird feeder. If I can find the missing piece, maybe I can fix it. Anyone have tips for gluing ceramic/stoneware back together?This is the tree in our neighbor's yard we thought was going to fall down during the wind storm. It's pretty damaged with big branches stuck throughout the top. Not to mention all the branches that have already fallen. We aren't sure what to do about it yet.I watched this huge branch crack off.More junk in the front yard from the park, including a garbage can, pieces of the pavilion's metal roof, and of course more leaves and branches.On a positive note, I was able to fix my wind chime. I thought it had made it through the storm ok until Jeff handed me a piece of it. And I did see a dozen or so quail running around the backyard so I know they didn't blow away.

If anyone's up for some fun, come by with a chain saw and dress warm! We've got a big mess to clean up.

1 comment:

Alabama Apples said...

Oh my goodness!! I DO live under a rock!!! I'm so sorry for the damage, how ugly. It is amazing what wind can do.

I don't even know where I've been, obviously not online. I love your family pictures. You are such a darling family. And definitely NOT a fuddy-duddy mom! You are always doing such fun things with your babies-family outings, traditions, etc...please give yourself credit. :) I think I let my beasts do the leaves thing, until my mobile house, it ruined me...36 bags of leaves kills the desire to have the piles jumped in ;)en