I'm crappy with gifts. And the whole hoopla that should surround special days like birthdays. I want to be the party planner, bake-you-own-cake type, I really do but it just doesn't happen. I had visions of a USU-themed party for Jeff but he said he didn't want anything.
Well he got exactly what he wanted. Nothing.
Ok, so that's not entirely true. He did get a pair of new shoes a couple of months ago that I had to remind him were for his birthday, even though he's been wearing them. And he got a squeaky, clean truck. It might not sound like a real present, but I assure you I put in more sweat and effort into washing the truck than wandering up and down some store looking for a present you can wrap. Not only did I scrub the outside of the truck, but I washed the windows inside and out, vacuumed (twice... Cole and Pearl decided to climb in with their wet and mud covered feet after they helped wash the truck), and washed the dashboard and other various plastic parts inside. Had I found a big red bow, I'd have put it on top of the truck.

Pearl and Cole were thrilled to help out with the birthday present too. Cole self-appointed himself in charge of the bucket, hose, and scrub brush.





Pearl actually did fairly well staying focused on the task at hand. She loves birthdays and was excited to help with Daddy's present. But eventually a four-year-old's attention span has to shift gears. Especially if a hose is involved.
Pearl was intrigued by something in there.


Pretty soon I had two wet kids on my hand. I stripped Cole down to his diaper and told Pearl to go change her clothes. Hopefully no one driving by saw me yelling at a naked pipsqueak to get in the house pronto! Those two had just as much fun getting shut inside the truck as I finished washing the windows as they did getting soaked with bubbles and cold water. 
For the record, I did wash the windows again after Cole put his grubby little hands all over them.
I think Jeff was pleasantly surprised with our gift. Even if I ruined the surprise when I called him to ask where he kept all the fancy car washing supplies. But we did surprise him with our giant birthday banner we made. I had Pearl help me color a big piece of paper with "happy birthday" written on it and then asked her why she loved her Dad. We hung it up on the garage and I was going to go back out and take a picture, but Jeff thought he was supposed to bring it inside when he got home. Duh, no! We wanted everyone to see why we love him... you know because, in Pearl's own words, "he's the greatest thing for me... and... Cole makes him really mad."And lastly, we've had to enact a new birthday dinner rule. No kids. Not only did Jeff get out voted by Pearl and Pearl alone as to the restaurant we went to, but Cole was grouchy as could be during dinner. We had no idea he'd end up puking (and has continued to be sick all weekend). Luckily after we had eaten, but still. Nothing screams "Happy birthday" like a good barf!
Happy birthday Babe! We love you!
4 comments:
So cute! What a great mom and wife you are!! And happy birthday Jeff!
I quit taking our kids to dinner pretty much the second they learned to sit up and grab things. And I haven't started taking them with us again!
It was a GREAT present.
I love it.
What a fabulous present! :) I would agree with skipping on kiddies for adult dinners...ahhh...just the thought of dinner out without the beasties makes me smile!
Post a Comment