Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Nearly dead

It serves me right.

I gave Jeff a lot of crap when he became old.

And tomorrow it's my turn.

So in my state of being "nearly dead" as Jeff so affectionately calls it, I thought I'd mourn over the loss of my 20s. I'm having a hard time leaving them. They were so good to me, most of the time anyway.

Seriously, this 30 thing is really getting to me. How on earth did I get so old?
I feel like I'm falling apart! I'm blaming it on two kids. They age you at least 10 years... each! I swear I should just be graduating from high school or at minimum college. Not be 25 minutes away from dying, again as Jeff has reminded me will happen tomorrow on my birthday everyday for the past month. How did this happen?

I often look in the mirror and think to myself, "What happened to me? I used to be skinny. I used to not be so flabby. I used to not have bags under my eyes. I used to be outgoing. I used to be fun. I used to be young, sexy, with long, gorgeous hair, a beautiful smile, and loads of attitude and energy, tons of goals, and an ambition to conquer the world. I used to be...."

I used to be. It's a saying that often floats around in my mushy brain these days. It can be a paralyzing thought for me. I can't really describe it but I have a hard time not comparing myself to everyone around me and even comparing myself to, well, me. I know everyone changes, grows, and morphs into new selves throughout their lives but lately I've been thinking I haven't done much of anything except just get old. Does anyone else feel like that? Like you're sort of two people... the "old" you back in the day and the you now. Don't get me wrong, I never want to relive high school again and I wouldn't trade my kiddos or husband for anything I had back in the young, single days but this geezerhood business isn't such a fun thought.

6 comments:

Alicia Steere said...

I think the same thing. It is SO easy to wonder "what happened to me?" I blame it on kids too! LOL Even though we are getting "older" it is a fun road to look back one. I hope that I can be one of those awesome old ladies with great stories from her childhood! Right now, I am in a rut! :( I hope you have a great day today! HAPPY BIRTHDAY JENNY!!! :)

Kami said...

As one who is quickly approaching 40, I think the 30s were better than the 20s. In my mind I'm still 18, but life just keeps getting better, so I've got the best of both worlds. :) Don't mope about the past.....look forward to all that the next 10 years will bring! :)

kathy said...

I get it. I will turn 50 in a few weeks. I swear I'm still 17. Do something crazy. I went bungee jumping when I turned 30. I'm going to get a tattoo for 50. I don't know why, but it seems to help.

Haylee Munk Brown said...

I TOTALLY feel your pain!!!! This getting old business is getting old!

Jesse, Emily, and Ruby said...

I feel your pain too!!! I am having a hard time with this 30 business. But compare yourself to me and I think you will feel a lot better. :)

I am barely graduating college, I can't seem to make babies, and I still live in an apartment that I detest.

Feel Better? Thought so.....
Hope you had a great day!

EZ

Alabama Apples said...

Happy belated birthday to you!!! Uggh about 30. I went and got my hair done to help hide the darn gray all over the place. My belly looks like a prune and my boobs are deflated, wrinkly and look like goat-skin flagons. I know my children have made me crazy ('cause I've never been crazy before, right??) and life seems to fly by me. Uggh to getting older!!!