Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Allergic reaction

Apparently Pearl is allergic to mosquito bites. At least that's my conclusion after seeing what happened over the 4th of July weekend in Bear Lake.

Things started out fine. Our gracious campground host (aka my Dad) helped Jeff set up camp on the lawn while I gave my brother Kurtis and his friend Zac a hard time for coming to the lake just to listen to their music and nap.
You'd never seen a happier camper than Pearl who was literally bouncing off the walls (or air mattresses in this case) with excitement that we were finally at the beach!But like all of our first summer outings to Bear Lake the weekend proved to be a cold, windy one. You would think I'd finally get smart and pack long sleeves, pants, and jackets to keep us warm but no, I refuse to believe it will be cold again at the beach. Those tenting it (Jeff and Pearl) woke up at 4 am freezing cold because someone insisted on sleeping with her best friend, in his sleeping bag. Basically that meant neither one of them had any covers. Cole and I even got cold in the trailer but I'm pretty sure we stayed a lot warmer than Jeff did. He's never once complained about being cold in the tent. You know, "I'm a man" sort of attitude. But after the first night, he added a trailer to his wish list for his mid life crisis.

With the lovely wind we broke out the kites. I don't know how long Pearl was down there flying her kite, because I was feeding Cole, but I'm guessing it was quite awhile. She seemed to be having a great time and her kite flew fantastically. I didn't get why she stood there with moving her arms up and down the whole time but it kept her happy.
I think this trip we were pretty much loaded to the gills with supplies. Jeff was a good sport about it when I kept pointing to more piles and saying, yes this needs to go too. We even packed up a pool, slip-in-slide, and playground to keep Pearl and Ruby entertained when we weren't at the beach. Now if anyone has been to Bear Lake you know how absolutely freezing cold the water is. Now imagine you are a kid who is just dying to get wet and your only option while the family unpacks is the pool which has just been filled with said freezing water. What do you do? Well, if you're Pearl you just go for it and slide right in! But if you're Ruby, you slide down as slowly as possible, stopping at the edge of the slide and then stick your feet in. The whole situation was pretty funny considering Ruby is usually the little dare devil and Pearl is the whimp.
We did eventually make it down to the beach on Sunday. Emily and I took the little girls down to explore our options for where to put our towels. Again, it was super windy so we told Pearl and Ruby that we would just go down for a few minutes then come back up to the trailer, eat lunch, and then go down "for real" with swimming suits. We should have known better. Not only did we think this, but we ended up stripping them down to just panties because they couldn't stay out of the water.
We started back up our long walk when we saw Jeff trudging down with Cole, who had refused to take a bottle. The twit wouldn't take one all weekend! Even my Dad tried to get him to cooperate. I thought his technique was quite ingenious and probably would have worked had Cole not heard my voice and I would have left him for another few hours. I just don't get why my kids hate bottles. It sure makes life interesting when you have to plan everything around a two hour feeding schedule, since Cole prefers snack on me instead of getting really full. Needless to say, I spent most of my time at Bear Lake doing this.
By the time Emily, myself, and two soaking wet, freezing cold little girls made it back up to the rest of the family, my lazy siblings were finally awake from their three hour naps. Sure, now they want to go to the beach. So we sent the girls back down to play while we stayed behind to watch them tackle each other in the water, collect sea shells, and play. I'm pretty sure this same scenario plays out each time we go to Bear Lake. And each time Kimmy gets wet. Day two at the beach brought the wind again. I left Cole with Jeff to hang out in the shade - poor Cole, he didn't make it to the beach once with the wind - and found myself lucky enough to not get thrown in the cold water. My dad told everyone that Cole didn't need his lunch frozen... thanks Dad! It's pretty pathetic that the only tan part of my body are my feet. Seriously, these lines give no indication to the whiteness just inches away. Someday, someday... Pearl chased Kurtis up and down the beach trowing water on him from her water bottle. She also collected an entire bucket of sea shells with Ruby which we HAD to take back with us. Then the wind decided to have some fun with us and not only blew all of our towels down the sand but picked up one of our inner tubes and before we knew it, that tube was half way across the lake! It was crazy! Pearl was screaming and freaking out because the tube was gone and kept telling grandma that we had to go buy another one TODAY!
Then she realized she had to protect her precious goldfish crackers from blowing away. I finally got her calmed down when I started throwing the crackers on my sun bathing brother, who then threw them at Nick. My dad ex-nayed the fun when the sea gulls decided they wanted in on the action. We left Jesse, Kimmy, Nick, Kurtis, and Zac on the beach while the rest of us headed back up to get warm and start dinner. Apparently they got bored because they built a sand woman... to scale. Sorry I don't have any pictures of the motorboat action.

Back to the mosquitoes... the picture really doesn't do it justice for how swollen and miserable Pearl was after three days post attack. I felt so bad for her because they must have itched like crazy! Luckily we have a walking pharmacy with Nick and he doped her up on Benadryl so she could keep playing.

So despite the itchy legs, arms, and eye, the wind and cold, and "4 star" accommodations we had a great time! Next time we'll be sure to pack warm clothes, bug spray, and let's hope some four wheelers! Oh and BTW, Emily and Jesse are expecting! Yeah! Another cousin and eight months apart from Cole just like Ruby and Pearl! Next year Cole will be walking (hopefully) and we'll have another baby up there!

5 comments:

Jeff Johnson said...

Let's go out and find some to take to the beach!

Alabama Apples said...

I do remember how cold Bear Lake can be...poor little girlies! Quite the difference from the Gulf beaches. I love the picture of the swimming suits. So darling! Poor you- I don't luuuv being the only source of food for my babies. Uggh. Thankfully we've moved away from every 2 hours. Poor little Pearl! I hate bug bites, but to itch and swell at the same time is awful!!

Shawn and Ali said...

Looks like a blast! Poor Pearl though I had a summer that I reacted really bad to mosquito bites. Nice softball size welts on my legs. They didn't itching - just hurt!

Anonymous said...

oh poor Pearl. Gabby has like 15-20 bites, with red spots and scabs. I thought that was bad. Pearl's eye looks horrible. She looked good today, when I saw her.
Nicole

kathy said...

This is Jason Jones' mom. Please tell Jesse that I'm really happy for him and Emily! Also, I swell from mosquito bites, too. Always have. I have found that plain old Preparation H helps both the swelling and itching. Yup, the hemorroid cream.