Friday, April 2, 2010

If you look carefully...

If you look carefully you can see Pearl and I waiting for the city's egg hunt to start. Since there was about 500 kids and moms crammed around the course (which seriously was the size of our tiny living room), I decided to help you out by posting the one picture of us both waving. Then if you look really, really carefully, you'll see a single pink egg about five feet in front of Pearl.Now all chaos ensues and I'm not sure where my child is at this point, let alone if she has succeeded in grabbing any eggs. You can probably see several kids getting plowed over and another handful crying though. And finally, if you look carefully in Pearl's basket you'll see the one, pink egg she nabbed. I was honestly surprised she got that much. Thank goodness Pearl was happy that she got the pink egg she had been eyeing the previous 15 minutes. I felt so bad she only got one that I bought her a pack of Skittles for $1 and threw them in there. It made me feel a little better that I had spent $3 at our city's Easter festivities just so Pearl could come home with about 50 cents worth of candy.

Some planning advice for our youth council for next year:

*Post a sign with how much everything costs. That would save you from repeating "egg hunt, bouncy house, and fish pond are two tickets and everything else (uh, one other thing) is one ticket." The massive line forming (see point #2 below) would actually move if parents had any clue how much $$$ to pull out.

*Start the egg hunt right at 10 am when half the city is there, eager kids in tow, and NOT at noon! Luckily we live within walking distance of the park because there were plenty of parents who were not happy they had to drive back home and then come back two hours later. Or at least advertise when things start!

*Yeah, the idea to have two egg hunts might work had you not combined all the kids five and under into one group. Um... look around... every single kid there was under 5! Hence the one egg, or in some unfortunate cases no eggs (yeah, there were several kids who didn't get any eggs).

*Make the course bigger, like in year's past when it covered the entire park! Cramming 200 kids into an area the size of our living room just isn't a good idea.

5 comments:

Jeff Johnson said...

Pearl was happy - that is all that matters.

Alabama Apples said...

Uggh! I'm glad Pearl had fun, but blehh for parents and the poor little kiddies without any!!

I hate events like that. Mass chaos. You are a fab mommy for taking her!

I want more baby-belly pics and maybe show a picture of nursery/pearl's room!

All of my needy requests...sorry!

Jeff Johnson said...

The nursary is still a good week away from having all the necessary paint. Then Jenny needs to get the curtains and some stuff for the walls.

Pearl's room is now down to needing just a new closet - more kid friendly.

I'm sure you will get some pics as they become available. Or as I get through a VERY BUSY month at work just in time for the baby.

Kami said...

I quit going to the city sponsored egg hunt a couple years ago. They are maddening for the little ones. I might start going again in a couple years when K can stand up for himself! :)

Clayton and Heidi said...

I would be upset with the lack of loot too. When I have kids I plan on stealing half of their goods.