Sunday, May 31, 2009

Where did my baby go?

In preparation for the big #2 birthday this week, we converted Pearl's crib into a big girl bed today. Jeff wanted to do this months ago but I just couldn't bear the thought of my baby not being a baby anymore or the possibility that she would escape and wake me up in the middle of the night. Pearl thought it was fun to have her mattress in the middle of the dining room and tried really hard to help "fix" her bed. With some new screwdriver marks on it thanks to Pearl's "fixing" and moments of hysteria that we were taking away the "baby bed," we finally convinced her to give it a try. Once she figured out that she could climb in there and jump up and down, read books in bed, and get her baby out all by herself, she was pretty excited about the change. Taking apart her crib reminded me of when we built it in eager anticipation of bringing home a tiny, dark-haired baby girl. I can't believe how big Pearl is. Even though it's so fun to watch her learn and grow, I joke that I'm going to stop feeding her so I can keep my baby longer. Here's hoping my "baby" will stay put in her big girl bed and let us get a good night's sleep!

4 comments:

Jeff Johnson said...

Well, night #1 was successful!

Kami said...

Wow, you are brave. I don't move the kids to big beds until they start escaping the crib. Maybe that's because I used to find Cooper downstairs playing the harmonica at 3 in the morning. I started freaking out that he was going to let himself out the front door in the middle of the night and wander off!

Alabama Apples said...

Hooray for a good 1st night. We have recently moved Gun over into a big boy bed, but he can't seem to make it through the entire night. Oh wait...none of my kids seem to make it through an entire night...

She really is a cutie. What a big girl! Are you hanging in there okay? I always get a little sad at the 2nd birthday mark.

Anonymous said...

What a fun milestone! I love it when my kds move to big kid beds...maybe 'cause they don't escape. :) I'm glad that she's stayed put so far. She is such a little doll. I love her cute faces in her pictures. Darling!
Your last post was so fun. I loved it. It looks like you CAN have fun even when the world around you is cold, wet and soggy. Here's to good times!!