I just can't hold back anymore!!! I've tried to be good, look on the bright side, and not get too emotional about a few things but I just can't keep quiet any longer. I'm about to burst!!!
First, how many times is it humanly possible to watch "Memo" and "Cookeee" (aka Nemo and Monsters, Inc)? Pearl has been sick for over a week now and the only thing she wants to do is watch movies. I never thought this busy little girl would turn into a couch potato and I'm still trying to figure out what triggered this movie obsession. After watching these movies at least 3 times EACH per day, I'm just about ready to pull my hair out. But how can I say no to a runny nose, messy haired, bags under her eyes pip-squeak? She's so cute when she tilts her head to one side and says "Mom, MEMO?!" I'm just hoping she starts to get back to her normal self soon. I'm a bit worried about her first day back to daycare (it's been almost 2 weeks) because she's been biting a lot lately. I have no clue why but when you bite your teacher, yikes! No mom wants "the biter".
Second, does anyone else bicker with their husband, constantly? Jeff and I don't really fight, just bicker. We've always bickered and for the most part it keeps us real and it's just the way we work. Most of the time it even makes us laugh. It seems to go in cycles where we have a few months of joyful bliss then constant bickering about everything from having to share a bed (no this is not what you're thinking, just sharing the same sleeping quarters is all - Jeff thinks I should sleep in the spare bedroom) to how we squeeze the toothpaste. On Sunday we made a goal to be nice to each other for 2 hours. Seems funny and yes, we both laughed but we did make it the whole 2 hours without bickering. And before anyone gets too harsh on either of us, just know that Jeff brought this on himself. He says I never blog about him so here ya go sweets!
Third, how long will I continue to torture myself by watching and reading the news? This economic crisis has seriously sent me into ulcers at times. Not so much the national news now, but the local news about our state budget. Being a state employee I admit I'm a bit sensitive to all the media attention and proposed cuts. After all, my job may be on the line. I really don't want to lose my job for a number of reasons, mainly for health insurance (yet what legislator is willing to cut their LIFETIME health benefits after their service or in reality job is over) and paying our mortgage, but I've worked hard and really want to help people have healthy and happy lives. We don't live extravagantly, as is evident from an earlier post on Jeff's shirts, have little debt compared to the majority of Americans, and yet we constantly worry about what would happen if the gas bill continues to go up, food keeps getting more expensive, or we lost our jobs. But an even bigger worry is the lack of understanding and appreciation for public health in our state. Please, please if you're taking the time to read my blog and made it this far into this monstrous post, read "A Day in the Life of Public Health" (I tried to find the Utah specific one but Colorado's will do for now). I know public health is a beastly thing to grasp and us public health professionals don't do promote ourselves like we should but if public health disappeared, trust me everyone would demand it back. Some of our hair-brained legislators have proposed completely dissolving the state health department not just the massive budget cuts already proposed. Brilliant, just brilliant! Has anyone stopped to think what would happen if there wasn't restaurant inspections, childcare licensing, responses for a bioterrorism attack or better yet, pandemic flu or bird flu, tools to track disease outbreaks and then prevent them - remember the crypto outbreak in swimming pools or the current peanut butter salmonella outbreak, mosquito abatement for west nile virus, air quality, no prevention for the spiraling obesity/diabetes/chronic disease crisis, no services for children with autism or other special health care needs, oversight over hospitals, prenatal care for low-income women, health care for the poor and disabled, safety laws like seat belts, not having smoke free places to go, and let's not forget the millions of dollars in federal matches the state gets with public health programs. Probably not, why? Because when public health is doing what it's supposed to, people don't see, recognize, or value it. I mean really, who needs help quitting tobacco or clean water, right? I'm all for eliminating waste in EVERY sector of our society, public and private, but I hope we all remember what President Obama said in his inauguration speech..."The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works — whether it helps families find jobs at a decent wage, care they can afford, a retirement that is dignified. Where the answer is yes, we intend to move forward. Where the answer is no, programs will end." Public health is not just a "wasteful state agency" as our elected officials portray but in the majority of cases, providing those who need help the most with the resources and services essential to happy and healthy lives. Without our health, we are nothing. While my concern is admittedly selfish in some regard, I truly hope that we can all see the value in a healthy society and public health is the keystone to making this happen. Plus my back up plan if I lose my job and public health disappears...to stay home and have lots of babies...was soundly rejected by Jeff (not to mention the fact that barfing 24/7 for 6 months doesn't sound too appealing either).
9 comments:
You and a new husband can have all the babies you want. Pearl and I will not be involved with that...
What's the big deals with watching a movie inside??? The HEALTH department says I can't play outside on a red air day. Explain yourself out of that one :)
Things will be fine, you've blogged your emotions out so you can now move on.
I love to read your posts. The things you posted are what everyone goes through and it is nice to know we are not alone. I had a biter, they will grow out of it, for the most part. The movie watching will go on and off. Mostly on, even active Gavin likes to watch movies when he is sick. The economic crisis, I hope will get better. In Queen Creek AZ it is really bad! There is around 2000 foreclosures in our little town. Our house is worth 100K less than what we paid 2 years ago and we will not be able to refinance or sale until everything gets better. We are going to be living in our tiny house for a long time, longer than we had planned. Unless in 3 years when are arm is up the bank will not let us refinance then we will foreclose like everyone else. Anyway now that I went on about everything with me I can move on like Jeff has commented. Post again.
I told Jeff he needs to give you a hug. :) He laughed. Sorry!
Chris and I are like you and Jeff it sounds like!! We are always bickering. It keeps things lively ;) I am glad you wrote about Public Health!!! It IS very important to have people like you helping us all! I would definitely fight for you!!!
Here is my advice...for what it is worth:
1. In regards to the re-watching of movies. No worries , this is normal. Both of my kids have gone through the "Repeat" mode. Actually Collier is currently in this phase. It is frustrating but it is normal. Redundancy is a normal part of development at Pearl's age. Enjoy it while it lasts.
2. Biting - I think I should have credentials in this area. Both of my kids have been biters. MAJOR BITERS. Yes, it is embarrassing at times but this too is normal. Keep saying to yourself "This has nothing to do with my parenting ... and this too shall pass". Buy the book "Teeth are Not for Biting" and read it over and over :)
3. Your job - These are crazy economic times and it is hard not too worry. But my motto is "Yield and overcome". Remember you can only control what you can control. Worrying is like rocking in a rocking chair... it fills the time but takes you nowhere. So, take a deep breath and then let it go. Stress only creates unhealthy anxiety.
Hope that helps!
Heather Brace
I think it really does help to not watch the news. (This is weird but I found even different stations make me feel better because they are more positive.) And I agree with you on public health if that is worth anything.
Jenny, if our state leaders are idiotic enough to cut the state health department rather than cut stuff like...spending on new roads, or the freaking construction downtown even, they will all pay for it someday. You won't lose your job and we'll still have all those things because if they cut it, everyone is going to throw a fit and they will change it.
I hear you with your little tater-tot. It is a phase and kiddies grow out of it. She likes things to happen again...and again...and again... It will get better. I'm also sorry you have a biter. I didn't have one (I just get the really ACTIVE ones) but Steph did. Grey bit everyone. It is a phase and mostly it is experimental to receive such fabulous responses as "Owww" and tears, etc. out of children. The articles I've read on it all just suggest keeping the response to a minimum (you can discipline w/time out etc.) but not make it into an attention getter. I'm so sorry about your worries. Life is worrisome, but worry only makes us age (says the girl who dyes her white hair already). I agree with you on the public health issue. What would we do without it?!
My only advice is just trust in the Lord. It is the only thing we can do, despite how us "life dictators" have to bite our nails and close our eyes before jumping. I am always learning how much I need to give up control to our Lord. Good luck sweetie!
Blogging is such great relief from emotions!
I love your 365 day blog! What a fun idea!!! I want to do that too...maybe I will start in a few weeks! hehe :)
Post a Comment