Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Into the "Wii" hours of the night

I think the title of this post pretty much sums up how Jeff has spent his time the past few days. After months of searching, he finally stumbled across a Wii game system. While I honestly didn't think he would actually buy one (they're $250!), secretly I am pumped. I mean, who would have thought exercising could be so fun (we need the Wii Fit) and a great way to bond as a family? Wii does count as a church approved FHE activity, doesn't it?

While I haven't stayed up into the Wii hours of the night for the same fun reasons as Jeff, I have been up all night myself the past few days. I can't sleep and can't seem to turn my mind off at night. It just seems like there's never enough time to do everything. Friday, which is supposed to be a fun mama and Pearl day, was spent doing the laundry, vacuuming every room at least 3 times (I think Cheerios have magical powers to transport themselves onto a clean floor), picking up toys constantly, dishes, and finally rearranging/cleaning out our back bedroom and sunroom/office. It was the first day I had to give Kimmy's old room a good cleaning and get the desk and bookshelf sorted. Then Saturday I suckered Jeff into taking the bunkbeds apart and moving the furniture around in the backroom. He didn't complain much, mainly because it meant he finally had a "man room" again to play video games in undisturbed. It seemed to take all day to clean but hey the DI is getting a big box of goodies from us. It's a good thing our house is so small because we have a lot of junk as it is so I can't imagine having even more room to keep stuff. Saturday night we went to a BBQ with some of Jeff's co-workers and played at a park. Out of 50 pictures, I think we got about 3 good ones of Pearl. We need a better camera!


Ok, back to the late night hours, so I'm supposed to be completing an internship for my MPH degree, not to mention the never ending work tasks that need to be done (and fine, I admit the occasional blogging - but as you can see I've been good and avoided the temptation this week because of everything else I had to get done). I really have been trying to do my internship but honestly the only time I have to work on it (plus take care of the housework, unwind from the day, and other projects I get myself into) is after Pearl goes to bed which can range from 8-9:30 depending on what we have going on. Plus this weekend I had to review 16 grants for a meeting on Tuesday which normally wouldn't be an at home assignment but I was out of the office last week for a training. Needless to say I've been up until midnight every night reading grants, not getting anything done on my internship, which has to be done before school starts next week, and then getting woke up by a screaming child at 2 or 3 in morning. I am exhausted! It seems like my life is tumbling out of control sometimes. I just can't seem to get it together. I feel totally guilty for not getting everything done and there's always something that gets put off again and again. Not to mention I've been a crappy mom lately too. How do the rest of you moms do it? You would think raising this adorable and funny little girl would be a breeze but no! Oh well, I'm sure at this point Jeff is "thinking why did I keep reading this post?" so I better stop. Sorry to complain to everyone and for the rambling which I'm sure makes absolutely no sense but hey my blog is sometimes the best place to vent without screaming and pulling my hair out!

11 comments:

Alabama Apples said...

I don't know how to do it...I always wonder if anyone does. How come some women make it look easy? When you garner comments and sympathy at church, i KNOW i am not making it look easy, just hilarious! Hang in there. The one thing I can say is that everything passes and the Lord gives us a little break until everything falls down again. It does get better again before it gets worse.

Jeff Johnson said...

I thought you were going to talk about how you were secretly angry we got the Wii - now I can go get you a fit so you can do video game yoga!

Clayton and Heidi said...

I have mucho sympathy for you now and I'm sure that I will have even more for you when I have kids!!!

We got a Wii for Christmas last year. I am NOT a video game person but I love it. Maybe because it is more active...i dunno. You guys should get Sonic at the Olympic games and guitar hero. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

You are a great mom! Nicole

Anonymous said...

Poor, Jenny!! I am sure that you are a wonderful mom, don't get down on yourself. Soemthing that came to me when I was readying your post was, to everything there is a time and season. Maybe you can let a few things slide a bit. Don't be perfect at everything. Maybe putting down some cleaning to play with Pearl is what is needed. I don't have the answers...when someone does, let me know. ;) I am sure you are doing great, don't worry so much and just take a deep breath and go kiss your sweet, little Pearl.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, Pearls hair is getting long! I don't believe how grown up she is! Video game yoga sounds like so much fun!!! You make me laugh. Remember how we aloways used to say that the angels are laughing at us? Have a good laugh back at them for me :)

Haylee Munk Brown said...

You have to get the wii fit!!! It is great! I really use it religiously, funny how I am so motivated by scores!! ha ha ha! I am constantly amazed when I read everyones blogs that have kdis, you included, by all of the stuff you get doen and are able to do! Kudos to working moms, and playing moms, stay at home moms, ALL THE MOMS!!!!

Shawn and Ali said...

Yes! I love Wii.

Parker Family said...

Is this realy my friend Jenny. I found your blog from Tianne's blog. What a cute little family you have.

Helena Parker

The Conrad Family said...

Hey Jenny don't get too discouraged. When you really think about it you have two full time jobs and at LEAST one part time. Being a mom is definitely full time work with unlimited overtime and taking care of hubby is at least part time. It is not possible to get everything done and remain somewhat sane! I am sure you are doing better than you know! Pearl looks like she is happy and that is all that matters!

BKT said...

I know for me I have to just tell myself that I am never going to get caught up- then I don't expect as much out of myself and I will take more time to play with my girls.
(I feel the same way as you do). I will let you know when I invent my magic wand that helps me get everything done that I want to! :)

Taneill